Let's Say You Are a Lord...

Likely Luke

If I'm a minor lord then my first objective is to marry my children up as it's the easiest way to secure alliances, though I'd probably stick to Houses in my region as I don't want to be like the Florent's and have to choose between my liege and my family - wouldn't want my liege to question my loyalty. Obviously my liege's main branch is out of the question so I'd have to aim for the cadet branch and similar size Houses to me. If I have natural resources then I'd make it readily available to my liege or if not then I'd have my few knights and smallfolk learn sword and bow. Ultimately the aim is to make myself useful to my overlord as that way I'm more likely to be rewarded and protected.

Definitely wouldn't attempt any schemes, wouldn't disobey my liege even if I disagree with him and if my liege is defeated and has fled the region then I'll bend the knee in a heartbeat, loyalty is all well and good but it's not worth the extinction of my House.

If I'm a minor lord then my first objective is to marry my children up as it's the easiest way to secure alliances, though I'd probably stick to Houses in my region as I don't want to be like the Florent's and have to choose between my liege and my family - wouldn't want my liege to question my loyalty. Obviously my liege's main branch is out of the question so I'd have to aim for the cadet branch and similar size Houses to me. If I have natural resources then I'd make it readily available to my liege or if not then I'd have my few knights and smallfolk learn sword and bow. Ultimately the aim is to make myself useful to my overlord as that way I'm more likely to be rewarded and protected.

Definitely wouldn't attempt any schemes, wouldn't disobey my liege even if I disagree with him and if my liege is defeated and has fled the region then I'll bend the knee in a heartbeat, loyalty is all well and good but it's not worth the extinction of my House.

Sounds like a good plan, I think I'd do something similar.

Ally with the next largest/ richest house bordering lands with me, send all of my sons and any applicable children of high/gentle birth in my lands to study at the citidel but never forge a chain or take vows. Have them all come home and invest all of the combined wealth of me and my ally on infrastructure. IE giant greenhouses, factories for craftsmen, better roads and marketplaces to facilitate trade.

Then I pay for all unskilled but willing workers to travell oversees and take apprenticeships with reknown artisans in the Free Cities: rug makers, glass crafters, gold smiths. Reinforce all my ties to neighboring lords with marriage, trade agreements, appeasment gifts and make sure to pay my share of taxes to the High Lord so he doesnt crush me. After about 100-150 years my territory will be ready to make a move on the Warden of whichever corner of Westeros I'm in and take over the territory. A century after that the whole kingdom will fall.

Archived