Let's Say You Are a Lord...

Likely Luke

Don't piss off my liege and do what my duty and honor tells me. If the two are in conflict look at what gives the best chance for survival. And try to get a good marriage for my kids, be nice to my wife, treat my servants and friends generously and foes honorably but firmly. Guess it's that. I wouldn't try any crazy schemes for power.

I think that a smart thing to do would be taking all of the first sons of the commoners of my land, making them learn how to read and how to fight, and then raise them to knighthood. That way not only you create strong houses and knights that are very loyal to your cause, it also create a good reputation around your house. The poor and the righteous from other kingdoms may start to think to get under your liege so that they can give their children a better future, or just to fight for a good cause.

If there are rapists I hang them, if there are thieves I send them to the wall (unless they were stealing for a good reason), if there are traitors I cut their heads.

If another house tries something funny, you answer with force, so that all of the others also get to know that you can't be fucked with.

As for the marriages, I'd get my sons and daughters to marry someone from a neighborhood land if possible, so that I can consolidate my grasp on a bigger part of Westeros, same thing for myself if I am not yet married.

I'd also try to have my own "little birds" and "spiders" in KL or in any other land of interest.

If a King or a bigger Lord tries to get me involved in the war, I try to participate if the reason is good. If the king or the lord is a stupid fuck like Balon, Joffrey or Renly, or a guy that burns whoever doesn't belive in his fire god like Stannis, I try to join forces with another Lord or King, or even better, form my own alliance with smaller houses.

Don't piss off my liege and do what my duty and honor tells me. If the two are in conflict look at what gives the best chance for survival. And try to get a good marriage for my kids, be nice to my wife, treat my servants and friends generously and foes honorably but firmly. Guess it's that. I wouldn't try any crazy schemes for power.

:agree:

I couldn't have said it better.

I think that a smart thing to do would be taking all of the first sons of the commoners of my land, making them learn how to read and how to fight, and then raise them to knighthood. That way not only you create strong houses and knights that are very loyal to your cause, it also create a good reputation around your house. The poor and the righteous from other kingdoms may start to think to get under your liege so that they can give their children a better future, or just to fight for a good cause.

If there are rapists I hang them, if there are thieves I send them to the wall (unless they were stealing for a good reason), if there are traitors I cut their heads.

If another house tries something funny, you answer with force, so that all of the others also get to know that you can't be fucked with.

As for the marriages, I'd get my sons and daughters to marry someone from a neighborhood land if possible, so that I can consolidate my grasp on a bigger part of Westeros, same thing for myself if I am not yet married.

I'd also try to have my own "little birds" and "spiders" in KL or in any other land of interest.

If a King or a bigger Lord tries to get me involved in the war, I try to participate if the reason is good. If the king or the lord is a stupid fuck like Balon, Joffrey or Renly, or a guy that burns whoever doesn't belive in his fire god like Stannis, I try to join forces with another Lord or King, or even better, form my own alliance with smaller houses.

I think that you would do an Eddard within a year.

:agree:

I couldn't have said it better.

Thanks.

Get Littlefinger thing going on, customs and financial schemes, also brothels. Get into counterfeiting of foreign or foreign enough (other former kingdoms) goods. If I could get good enough crew maybe turn or two in Disputed Lands.

Use ill gotten wealth to fortify castle as much as possible for the potential of molesting liege lord and neighbors, maybe even some classic robber-barony if realm is unstable enough.

Become liege lord's "special" retainer like Clegane or become High Lord's special retainer and boot the liege lord or better yet become king's special retainer and boot the High Lord.

Get through noble wives as fast as possible for dowry purposes. but also make a bunch of bastards, treat them as legit children, send some to become maesters, some septons, hell even send some for the red priesthood if they are inclined. Educate and train the rest as the legit children for the military and administrative jobs, everything stays in the family but they can't make more problems for the heir. Also get a lots of wards and treat them well.

Teach children honor and stuff so they can be all noble and shit when I get them to be powerful lords with wide power base and connections everywhere.

If you're Westerling-level minor, keep your head down and your mouth shut. Marry your kids off to other houses in the region, trying to marry up if at all possible, even if it's to a younger son or a daughter of a higher family. Don't make any crazy power grabs, and try to make yourself useful to your overlord in some way (e.g. money, advising, produce, livestock, other raw materials, whatever).

Let's say I'm a minor lord near Horn Hill in The Reach. I would exploit my resources and send Lord Tarly an adequate amount to keep peace.

I would train all of my people in writing and have them all spy for me.

If hire a master at arms, and a hedge knight. My common men would all know how to fight with sword shield and spear.

The better of those would learn armor and lance, then id raise the best of them to knighthood, and build my households strength.

I'd marry my son to any of the Tarly daughters if he'd have me, and if not then anyone directly around my land will do.

I'd send my younger sons to ward with Tarly if he'd allow it.

My daughters would marry into whatever land they could within my proximity, hopefully edging toward the river.

I'd send my shadiest commoners to squirm their ways into the houses of Tarly, Rowam, Tyrell, and KL if possible.

Come war times, I'd offer myself to Lord Tarly as well as my knights and the best of my common men.

My master at arms would be castellan and prepare my house for defense. The leftover common men would receive more rigorous training to prepare them for a second mustering if applicable and if not then they would defend my house against reaving.

The women would handle the crops and livestock. The children would cook and clean and continue training in arms and reading.

Id hopefully be given a place in battle with my men, leading this flank or that flank.

Come end of war, id repeat all of my steps. Supposing I survive of course.

My minor house acquires dragons, Mel, a million bannermen, and a cheat code for infinite food.

I build a large stadium and put all my bannermen in the stadium. Then I make the dragons fly over the stadium and poop.

Mel makes me a big steak and potatoes dinner, and then I go to bed.

Dafuq did I just read?

I think that you would do an Eddard within a year.

More like Eddard 2.0

We all know that if Ned was a little more subtle, and a bit less honarable , he would still sit on his chair.

Acting like a good person doesn't make you die in the game of thrones, not playing your role well that's what kills you.

That, and not being smart. If you're smart enough you can act like the good guy and still be one of the players.

Doran is the first example that comes to mind, Varys is the second (even tough he killed Kevan).

More like Eddard 2.0

We all know that if Ned was a little more subtle, and a bit less honarable , he would still sit on his chair.

Acting like a good person doesn't make you die in the game of thrones, not playing your role well that's what kills you.

That, and not being smart. If you're smart enough you can act like the good guy and still be one of the players.

Doran is the first example that comes to mind, Varys is the second (even tough he killed Kevan).

Varys good guy? He really does it for the realm? Bwahahahha.

If anything LF is far better guy to Varys because he isn't hypocrite about his intentions. Two things people put on LF betrayal and children abusing, lets look at Varys, check and check.

Also Doran may be sympathetic but good guy come on, by every moral account he is gray at least.

Rest of the post is spot on and I agree completely

I would be as useful as I can to my liege lord. Try to make my son or daughter close to them (asking them to take my son to ward or as a page?). Get them in tight with their children a la Addam Marbrand and Jaime Lannister. Through that friendship you might get a sympathy marriage to a second son or one of their daughters which will help strengthen the bonds.

A good marriage goes a long way and getting a big name increases your worth in the eyes of the world. Emmon Frey never had to worry about financial security and he and Gemma basically raised Cleos etc in the Westerlands. They became Lannisters in all but name.

That or plan to have a few "weddings" here and there...with some really loud and poorly played music...

Archived