[Spoiler's ADWD] Putting Faces To The Weirvisions (Just Who Were They?)

Blazfemur

So we all know Bran's chapter where he sees his father. Brought a tear to my eye when i read it. And I anxiously await Sean Bean's recast, even if it is for that ONE moment.. But who were the rest of them? Your opinions? Now logically, it's not TOO far behind at first, merely going through the generations.

Summary from the wiki:

• His young father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them, and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";[2]
  • A girl that resembles Arya and a younger boy with long hair play fighting with branches;[3]
  • A pregnant woman coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;
  • A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;[4]
  • A pale, dark-eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;
  • Other lords of Winterfell: tall, hard, stern men in fur and chain mail;
  • A bearded man forcing a captive down on his knees, and a white-haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle

I guess I'll give it my own interpretations:

• A girl that resembles Arya and a younger boy with long hair play fighting with branches (Lyanna, they always said Arya looked like Lyanna, this could be one of the Stark brothers of that generation, Benjen or Ned or Brandon)
  • A pregnant woman coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her; (At first i thought Lyanna, but i think the previous vision covered her, this may be the generation before, Lyarra/Rickon? It's not TOO much into the past from the previous vision, and MIGHT come immediately after:)
  • A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor. (Old Nan & Ser Duncan The Tall? Again, not too too into the past from the previous vision)
  • A pale, dark-eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows; (Whom do we know that used weirwood arrows from the North?) (Didn't Bloodraven have a weirwood bow? He'd be younger, and on his way north to the wall, perhaps stopping at winterfell. Is it marked anywhere that a Stark used a weirwood bow or arrows?)
  • Other lords of Winterfell: tall, hard, stern men in fur and chain mail; (Fast forwarding through time rapidly, it's noted Bran recognizes the faces on the statues in the crypts)
  • A bearded man forcing a captive down on his knees, and a white-haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle (This is the big one.. and specific, after fast forwarding with the previous vision. GRRM wants us to know what happened here. Bronze, makes me think ancient First Men, but white hair, is throwing me off.) Initially, I'm thinking when the Andals invaded and pushed the First Men further northward, it's rumored that some First Men gave into the Andals to survive (TWOIAF) and became today's northern houses under fealty to the king (theorizing) [and those that rebelled, and were pushed further north, and dont believe in a king, are today's wildlings]. Could this be connected?

It makes me think that last vision, are specific characters we're supposed to know. Who is the captive? A woman with white hair, reminds me of valyrian features but. Bah, who knows. And lastly, who is the bearded man? There is treachery here.

snipped

• A bearded man forcing a captive down on his knees, and a white-haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle (This is the big one.. and specific, after fast forwarding with the previous vision. GRRM wants us to know what happened here. Bronze, makes me think ancient First Men, but white hair, is throwing me off.) Initially, I'm thinking when the Andals invaded and pushed the First Men further northward, it's rumored that some First Men gave into the Andals to survive (TWOIAF) and became today's northern houses under fealty to the king (theorizing) [and those that rebelled, and were pushed further north, and dont believe in a king, are today's wildlings]. Could this be connected?

It makes me think that last vision, are specific characters we're supposed to know. Who is the captive? A woman with white hair, reminds me of valyrian features but. Bah, who knows. And lastly, who is the bearded man? There is treachery here.

This I think Nights King. And it sorta gives backing to the Nights King being a Stark, and there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. I don't have any clear idea about it, but there is a Stark/Other relationship I'm sure. The Boltons features are misleading. Or both are desecended from teh Others. Idk sorry.

This I think Nights King. And it sorta gives backing to the Nights King being a Stark, and there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. I don't have any clear idea about it, but there is a Stark/Other relationship I'm sure. The Boltons features are misleading. Or both are desecended from teh Others. Idk sorry.

Of course there's a Stark/Other relationship. It takes First Men blood to make an Other, just like it takes Valyrian blood to control dragons/power blood magic.It's the basis for craster incest/targaryen incest.

White haired woman, are you suggesting she's The Night's Queen?

Of course there's a Stark/Other relationship. It takes First Men blood to make an Other, just like it takes Valyrian blood to control dragons/power blood magic.It's the basis for craster incest/targaryen incest.

I'm not putting it out of the question. Val has white hair, and everyone seems to think she is the next Nights Queen.

Why do you think it takes first men blood to make an other? If the show was even correct and that Others are merely humans turned. It seems more likley its a product of location that people with the blood of first men are turned. Its not a rule / law

The bronze knife is oddly similar to to the one Mirri Maz Duur uses. To me it seems like "Ice" and "Fire" magic are fundamentally the same at its core. Blood Magic. I could be mistaken but I think both knives are described as having glyphs on them. The Daynes are first men all the way. But still have the silver hair. Who to say First Men were not the precursors to the Valyrians.

I'm not putting it out of the question. Val has white hair, and everyone seems to think she is the next Nights Queen.

Val is more likley to be a moonsinger.

----------------------

A pale, dark-eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

This appears to be the bastard brother of King Torrhen Brandon Snow

Why do you think it takes first men blood to make an other? If the show was even correct and that Others are merely humans turned. It seems more likley its a product of location that people with the blood of first men are turned. Its not a rule / law

Val is more likley to be a moonsinger.

----------------------

A pale, dark-eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

Val a moonsinger?

Moonsingers are priestesses of the Jhogos Nhai. They fled with escaped slaves to found Braavos.

I hihgly doubt she is a moonsingers. She also had her eyes change colour from grey to blue if that means anything to you. Eyes change colour all the timet hough.

• His young father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them, and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";[2]

Ned talking about Jon. Brothers are Jon and Robb, and wife is Catelyn.

• A girl that resembles Arya and a younger boy with long hair play fighting with branches;[3]

Lyanna and Benjen sparring

• A pregnant woman coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

One of the she-wolves of Winterfell?

• A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;[4]

Old Nan?? Dunk??

• A pale, dark-eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

Brandon Snow, Torrhen Starks bastard brother. (Credit goes to Muggle)

• Other lords of Winterfell: tall, hard, stern men in fur and chain mail;

Donnel, Theon, Brandon 23. Just randoms Stark kings to draw attention to the crypts.

• A bearded man forcing a captive down on his knees, and a white-haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle

Nights King and Queen sacrificing someone to a heart tree.

I agree; and I think it might be Brandon Stark.

Val a moonsinger?

Moonsingers are priestesses of the Jhogos Nhai. They fled with escaped slaves to found Braavos.

I hihgly doubt she is a moonsingers. She also had her eyes change colour from grey to blue if that means anything to you. Eyes change colour all the timet hough.

I don't think Val is a a moonsinger either; I think she might just be some sort of "ice priestess"

there's only one night's queen. the question is whether or not she existed (I have yet to see an actual FEMALE Other [not wights, Others] )

I have blood theories all over the place that are coming true the more material that comes out. The basis for Craster's incest isnt that he was a glutton having sex with his own kindred, the basis is that he was a factory producing Others. There's a blatant agreement there, and all wildlings have First Men blood. The more incest, the more potent the ingredient OF First Men blood in the blood, without being diluted by outside houses or outside people. The more generations produced by incest, the more potent the blood. Craster was protecting his daughters from contaminating them with unwanted semen, as well as saving his own hide, when he pays his toll per whatever agreement.

The same theory applies to Targaryen incest and their dominion over dragons, We all know it doesnt necessarily take a TARG, to control a dragon, but rather anyone Valyrian. So why do Targaryens have the best affinity? Well, my theory would have you believe it's their incest, of uncontaminated bloodline, that gives them a stronger affinity to control them. The more potent the valyrian blood in them, the more the dragons are attracted to them like a beacon.

Is it confirmed anywhere he used a bow of choice? With weirwood arrows? I didnt get much from the wiki

One thing I noticed. Its in reverse chronological order. Bran sees the newer things (Lyanna and Benjen) before the kigns of Winter. and so on.

So the bronze sickle must be really ancient stuff.

Given that Bloodraven is trying to get Bran prepared for whatever is coming, I think the final vision has something to do with the war for the dawn 1.0. (So, NK's and his Queen)

Boy as if close as brothers doesn't scream he's not Ned's son. I can't say that i'd ever word it that way if i was talking about my bastard and my son.

Yes, People of the North / First Men often practiced blood sacrifices to Weir Wood trees. I also think its still practiced today for them.

Keeping a stark poised at winterfell, perhaps as a Ward, would that suffice as a blood tribute? And since no one is there, no one paying tribute, the weather is getting a tad... shall we say... nippy.

there's only one night's queen. the question is whether or not she existed (I have yet to see an actual FEMALE Other [not wights, Others] )

I have blood theories all over the place that are coming true the more material that comes out. The basis for Craster's incest isnt that he was a glutton having sex with his own kindred, the basis is that he was a factory producing Others. There's a blatant agreement there, and all wildlings have First Men blood. The more incest, the more potent the ingredient OF First Men blood in the blood, without being diluted by outside houses or outside people. The more generations produced by incest, the more potent the blood. Craster was protecting his daughters from contaminating them with unwanted semen, as well as saving his own hide, when he pays his toll per whatever agreement.

The same theory applies to Targaryen incest and their dominion over dragons, We all know it doesnt necessarily take a TARG, to control a dragon, but rather anyone Valyrian. So why do Targaryens have the best affinity? Well, my theory would have you believe it's their incest, of uncontaminated bloodline, that gives them a stronger affinity to control them. The more potent the valyrian blood in them, the more the dragons are attracted to them like a beacon.

Is it confirmed anywhere he used a bow of choice? With weirwood arrows? I didnt get much from the wiki

There is a bit more on Brandon Snow in The World of Ice and Fire. Not a lot.

Bit it just fits. In the time line. 3 Arrows for 3 dragons. etc...

The preg woman vision before him appears to be one of the "She Wolves of Winterfel" Or a daughter of them. Which we will meet in the next Dunk and Egg story that takes place in Winterfel.

Nights King and Queen sacrificing someone to a heart tree.

I like this, Bran defines him as a "captive." He may be a prisoner, or a deserter. If this is in fact the interpretation defined. It would also serve as paying tribute for the time being.

I think the pregnant woman might be one of the She-Wolves of Winterfell. The weirwood arrow-maker is Brandon Snow, presumably when he was planning to kill Aegon's dragons. (Interesting that he cuts three branches; three branches for three arrows, one for each dragon, meaning he'd've been confident enough in his success/accuracy not to require any spares.)

The weirwood sacrifice is interesting, given, as RP suggested, that it'd be very, very old. Other than that, it's hard to draw much from it. The idea that it's the Night's King is intriguing, but it could just as easily be a nod to weirwood sacrifice in general, which we know was practiced elsewhere in the North, from Davos's chapter in the Wolf's Den.

I'm more interested in why Bran saw what he did. Two of the visions pertain to Jon: Ned's prayer and Benjen and Lyanna's play-fighting (Lyanna's training that led her to successfully be the KotLT, which led her to meet Rhaegar, etc.). One is a clear reference to the means of killing dragons (an odd thing to see if the dragons were intended to be allies of Bran and/or his party). Young Nan and Dunk could just be a nod to the D&E series, as could the pregnant woman if in fact she is one of the She-Wolves. But the sacrifice is, as you suggested, the biggest puzzler, as much for why Bran saw it as for what it represents. Is it a history lesson about what befell some unfortunate Stark, is it a glimpse of the Night's King or is it a way to convey the power of a weirwood sacrifice?

ETA: If it is in fact the Night's King and his undead queen doing the sacrificing, why do it in front of a weirwood? The weirwood has connotations of religious significance, but it seems strange for a guy in thrall to the Others to make sacrifices to a weirwood tree if what the weirwood tree represents (read: the greenseers) is actually in opposition to the Night's King. Unless you think it's being done ironically or that the Children are actually pro-Other. I'm not saying it isn't the Night's King; it's as good a theory as any. But the weirwood sacrifice strikes me as an odd choice. I'm also not terribly fussed by the woman's white hair; she always struck me as a maegi or priestess. Mirri uses a bronze cutting instrument, too, it's just a knife and not a sickle.

More like paying tribute. Think about it, when Ned is cleaning Ice in the pond in the beginning, he's cleaning off the deserter's blood, praying.

I agree that is what is happening, but I'm not sure that Ned is consciously aware of what he is doing. I think Ned just goes there to think about why he had to take a life and clean his blade; but what he doesn't realize is that he's giving blood to the trees.

Archived