ASOIAF Phrase Guessing Game, #6

honeyed chicken

f?

How did the driving lessons go?

Here's my plan: bring all you UK driving students over to the USA to a nice little rural state like ours with wide roads and little traffic - oh wait! wrong side of the road. Dang!

I was thinking it could work. The first thing a driving student needs, imo, is confidence and knowledge in controlling the vehicle. Get that down and THEN deal with traffic laws and other drivers and etc. Our roads are spacious (lanes close to 3 meters wide) by European standards, so much greater margin for error. The cars used to be proportionally bigger as well, but that is no longer true. Our cars and yours are about the same size now.

Oh well. Another lovely business plan down the chute.

1.e, a,s

2.e,t,h

3.e, a,s,n

4. a,n

5.a

6.a,n

7. i

8.o

9.e, t,h

10.e, t,s

No F

That might work well for me as I kept trying to drive on the right instead of the left haha!

The first two lessons were ok, but the last one I went into panic mode, stalled the car, went WAY too fast round the corner, nearly crashed the car into a post and stalled again, accidentally switched the windscreenwipers on instead of turning the ignition and held the traffic up for about half hour! I always panic when there's loads of cars behind me, but when we drive in the countryside I'm fine. I live on the isle of Wight, which is pretty rural and we have some lovely country roads. But I agree the roads here are still way too small. I'd love to have a go at driving in the USA one day :D

r?

OMG! The Isle of Wight! that's great. I'm a huge Who fan and one of the best things of the last decade or two for them has been the release of concert footage from the Isle of Wight festival, 1970. You can see (or could see last I checked) the whole performance on YouTube.

eta

still there! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMipawl9tYQ

I was spoiled when it came to learning to drive. My dad had old, beater cars and we had a big field. The best education I got was driving by myself in that field.

When it came time to teach my daughter (she's 23 now) I did the next best thing. On a weekend, we went to the large empty parking lot of a nearby industrial park and I let her drive around as she pleased to get the feel of the car. Then we drove down a twisty piece of old highway where you need to do a lot of steering, but no stopping and there's hardly any traffic.

For her, and for me it was largely a process of getting used to being the person in charge - to being the vehicle's operator as opposed to being a passenger.

And the more I read about people like you in the UK learning to drive, the more I feel like the presence of "an instructor" - a stranger - sitting there next to you, judging as you inevitably make mistakes, the more I think that's a crappy way to have to learn.

I do not know what your laws are regarding instructors. Here, a 15 year old (laws vary from state to state) can get a "learner's permit" by passing the written exam. Then that 15 year old can drive with any licensed driver over the age of 18. She could pick a friend to drive with as long as friend is old enough. It may sound nuts, but it seems to work.

1.e, a,s

2.e,t,h

3.e, a,s,n

4. a,n

5.a

6.a,n

7. i

8.o

9.e, t,h

10.e, t,s,r

No F

ooh cool! The Isle of Wight festival is still going strong. I've seen many bands there including rolling stones and the sex pistols

I haven't been in years though.The tickets are so expensive now!

D?

First learning to drive in a manual car is tough! I would have panicked too! I started off driving automatics and have since been driving manual for 6 years. I feel so strange when I drive an automatic now. My left foot needs something to do!

Archived