Mockingjay Part 1 - SPOILERS

kairparavel

At the very least Katniss is incredibly traumatised by the incident. Peeta was only of use to the Capital for propaganda purposes and they really couldn't keep using him in that way for much longer, seeing as they had to torture him into saying what they wanted and he already had one outburst. So once his use as a propaganda piece is used up, Snow probably thought he might as well use him to at the very least play a sadistic joke on Katniss.

Non-book reader here. I'll just leave some bullets rather than an essay.

Passive protagonist. Katniss did virtually nothing. The first movie you have Katniss exerting her will even though she was being tightly controlled by her handlers. Here she doesn't take part in the climactic mission, she's left observing and emoting.

All the rubble looked the same. Here's an idea: Why wasn't the first scene of the movie from the POV of people in District 12 as they got wiped out? (J-Law's PTSD nightmare thrashing and waking up was one of the WORST pieces of acting I have ever seen. Seriously, that was the best take? To be fair, she was quite good in other scenes).

Could have done with more Woody Harrelson. The movie comes alive when he's on screen.

Why not a POV in the Capital? Leave Effie Trinket there, prepping Peeta and gradually realizing what they are doing to him, then she betrays Snow and joins them during the rescue mission. We get a chance to see more Tucci and Sutherland and balance out the plodding grimness of District 13.

It wasn't a complete waste; there were some very moving scenes, but over-all it felt like marking time. I've got some measured enthusiasm for seeing the last installment.

Archived