School children killed in Pakistan

DJDonegal

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Well that was silly and definitely tmi. Apologies for derailing this thread with that mundane accounting of my domestic debauchery. It's been a rough few days and I guess my husband and I needed to let loose.

That's exactly what I feel: a vicious inhumane and barbaric group is what we are dealing with. And have been for too long. The scale and senselessness of this tragedy seems to have united us locally, for once. Perhaps this will be a turning point. One can only hope.

A turning point towards what exactly??

Yes a lot is needed to educate people, change mindsets, stop people from spreading hatred in the name of religion.

But for the first time I see people overcoming their fear of standing up to clerics. There's a mosque in my city whose leader refused to condemn the massacre. For the past few days ordinary people have been protesting outside there. The #takebackourmosques is trending locally. It's a good start in my view. For too long people have simply been scared of confronting extremists because they hide behind the whole spectre of Islam. Perhaps that can change.

Those are encouraging signs.

Looking at the history of this conflict, it seems it all originates with the stupid War on Terror. According to Wiki the Chenagai airstrike in 2006 may have been a turning point.

Archived