Arnt Dannys dragons to small for WAR ?

the storm king returns

It would take Dany's lifetime for these dragons to develop enough to compare even to Aegon's smaller dragons.

So she will be coming over with small dragons.

Maybe that's the point? She will have dragons but she will be far from unbeatable. She has to beware everything, every opponent, every ally, Citadel, Faith, even common folk. Even common folk can kill dragons, that happened in King's Landing in some uprising.

Here's the thing.

Fire grows.

Well, Moondancer was a wee thing as was her rider and they managed to ground Sunfyre and Aegon II just with suicidal bravery, Sunfyre never flew again and Aegon died shortly after... Drogon is already larger than Moondancer, and his rider even more maniac than Baela. Having the crazy Khaleesi riding a fast dragon to scout, raid and intimidate is more than any other army can boast. The black dragon flying alongside a khalasar would be deadly in open ground if Dany gets a decent host.... She only needs KL, and landing in Maegor's wouldn't be so hard as a host stormed the city.

In any case, it would be important to see who are the other two riders; having Victarion or gods forbid Euron or Daario riding one of those would not be very healthy for neither Dany nor Drogon.

And given the time that Daenerys is taking to get to Westeros, probably Drogon will be larger than Balerion by the time she choses to jump the pond.

I think their primary value would be for propaganda and symbolic purposes, at this point. It makes whoever has them look "the part," so to speak. But yeah, they're not Balerion or Vhagar or even Caraxes, Syrax, Silverwing, Meleys, etc. If I had to compare them to dragons from the past, just going by age and relative size and capabilities (e.g. carrying a rider), Drogon is probably a Tessarion (on the high end, and that's being generous), a Vermax or an Arrax. Tessarion was like three times smaller than Vermithor, who was older but not nearly as old as Vhagar. And Arrax was something like five times smaller than Vhagar. Rhaegal and Viserion are probably more like Tyraxes, Stormcloud or Moondancer. Bearing in mind that two of the three dragons have been confined to a pit, which apparently stunts their growth and development, while the dragons I mentioned were mostly on Dragonstone and allowed to roam more.

There is something to be said for GRRM writing them to be as "big as they need to be," but I don't think he could go into such detail with so many dragons in the novellas and then promptly throw those rules out the window.

Well, Moondancer was a wee thing as was her rider and they managed to ground Sunfyre and Aegon II just with suicidal bravery, Sunfyre never flew again and Aegon died shortly after...

Yes but Sunfyre (and Aegon II) had already suffered pretty extensive injuries fighting Meleys earlier. I think that if Sunfyre at peak health had met Moondancer, it would have been far less of a fight.

She only needs KL

Aegon II had King's Landing. So did Maegor the Cruel and so did Aerys.

Yes but Sunfyre (and Aegon II) had already suffered pretty extensive injuries fighting Meleys earlier. I think that if Sunfyre at peak health had met Moondancer, it would have been far less of a fight.

Both Baela and Moondancer were doomoed when they flew to fight Sunfyre... My point was that if a crazed teenager with a barely bigger than a direwolf dragon would fight an injured Sunfyre and end the dance for good, surely Drogon and Dany (who is older and bit wiser in war than Baela) can at least make themselves useful and bring down minor foes. Let's say roast a Robert Strong, or having a Greyjoy for lunch.

Dany's foes doesn't even have a Moondancer, even if only for propaganda, or small operations like scouting or raiding, they already have the upper hand. Man, even all the KG would only be fodder for Drogon.... In the end, the only foe that we should be concerned are the others, and as for those icy bastards is related, Drogon is cool.

Both Baela and Moondancer were doomoed when they flew to fight Sunfyre... My point was that if a crazed teenager with a barely bigger than a direwolf dragon would fight an injured Sunfyre and end the dance for good, surely Drogon and Dany (who is older and bit wiser in war than Baela) can at least make themselves useful and bring down minor foes. Let's say roast a Robert Strong, or having a Greyjoy for lunch.

Dany's foes doesn't even have a Moondancer, even if only for propaganda, or small operations like scouting or raiding, they already have the upper hand. Man, even all the KG would only be fodder for Drogon.... In the end, the only foe that we should be concerned are the others, and as for those icy bastards is related, Drogon is cool.

It wasn't Baela and Moondancer that actually ended the Dance. They may have hastened Sunfyre's demise but Aegon II was on borrowed time anyway.

As to the bolded part, I wouldn't automatically assume that Dany retains custody of all three dragons. At the moment, as of now, she has one. Who knows what will happen with the other two or who might successfully claim them. Being smaller also makes them easier to kill. A dragon Balerion's size is probably absurdly difficult if not impossible to kill conventionally, but Stormcloud went down from bolts and arrows. Even Meraxes was killed with an admittedly lucky scorpion bolt, and Dreamfyre, Syrax and Tyraxes were killed by a damn peasant mob.

I just get this whiff of "Dany has dragons and therefore her victory is inevitable," and I think that's a mistaken conclusion, as much as some people like to imagine otherwise.

Yeah, that sounded way cooler in my head.

I mean that they breath fire, things catch fire, the field of fire 2.0 takes eighteen minutes longer than the first.

I see. Yes, I suppose it will burn some men. I do wonder for how long though. Wouldn't such a small dragon have to fly much lower to do damage? He probably has weaker lungs or whatever a dragon uses to exhale fire. Then he would be much closer to arrows. His skin is softer too. His wings especially can easily be pierced. All riders must be in heavy plate, but they can't put armor on dragons.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragon#Historical_Dragons

Balerion lived over 200 years. He grew so big that he could swallow a mammoth whole.

Vhagar died at the age of 180+, during the Dance of Dragons. She nearly reached the size of Balerion.

Arrax, 9 -14 years old, was 5 times smaller than Vhagar.

Caraxes (age unknown) was half the size of Vhagar.

Tessarion and Seasmoke (age unknown) were three time smaller than Vhagar and Vermithor, almost 100 years old during the Dance.

So it takes about 100 years for Dragons to be "fully grown". However, they keep growing until their death.

Dany's Dragons will not only fight men but also the Others. We may see one or two of her Dragons get killed without making any great impact, unless GRRM gives them a decade to become stronger.

Archived