Most emotionally draining POV

larastone

Cat, RW.

If Theon didn't include that (imo) huge false note, it would be up there.

Additionally, personally speaking, boredom is my most hated sensation, so like Damphair or post-GoT Dany or much of Bran would qualify. Also Damphair. And that seaweed priest whose name I am temporarily omitting for aesthetic reasons. God I unenjoyed him.

Edit: in a good way, Tyrion between Purple Wedding and patricide, in a bad way Tyrion between Patricide and Fair Maid.

may I ask what you mean by this?

Fitz.

Oh, you mean in ASOIAF.

In which case, in no particular order: Cat in all three books. Sansa in Clash and some of Storm. Brienne, at times. And a lot of Theon's stuff.

Special mention to Bran. He isn't emotionally draining, but I do feel for him a lot.

Theon. One hundred times Theon.

My hatred for him was so entrenched I thought pity for him was impossible - then Ramsey happened. I don't think I've ever read fiction that has made me feel physically sick but oh dear God is flaying+psychological torture a traumatizing mix. Kudos to GRRM though - the early Reek chapters are a fantastically gruesome and it one of the best written POV descent into madness narratives I've ever read, its like The Yellow Wallpaper with a side order of bodily harm.

After that pretty much any POV where corpses of women were found mutilated in the war-torn countryside - especially when their breasts were cut off (for some reason I always found myself grabbing my chest and praying that is not how I die - it would be so painful) - those sections always brought home how precarious Brienne, Arya etc. were out in the wilderness.

On a more personal note - Davos, I hate his guts. No real reason I just find his chapters irredeemably dull, even when I shouldn't. The moment when his POV came back after he was supposed to be dead drained me emotionally more than any other event (except Theon obvs [and maybe the red wedding - very literally in that case as I shouted at the book - "I MUST HAVE READ THIS WRONG. NO GEORGE. NO. WHY DID I TRUST YOU? WHY GEORGE WHY?" - my parents thought I was going through a rough break up!])

• 2 months later...

Archived