Dragonlords and Gorgossos and Freehold families

BrainFireBob

Interesting thought I wanted to pitch out there.

pp 285, insert.

...he (Septon Barth) speculated that the bloodmages of Valyria used wyvern stock to create dragons.

pp 283

In the flesh pits, blood sorcery of the darkest sort was practiced, as beasts were mated to slave women to bring forth twisted half-human children

1) Valyrians are a breed apart

2) The dragon holding families (I recall a reference to there being 40-some odd, a little help?) practiced incest to keep the blood "pure"

Dragons are both female and male over their lifetime, Valyrian dragons have wings but no arms.

We know the following:

Daenerys' son Rhaego- born scaled and stone-like (as I recall, stubby wings or tail?)

Maegor's monstrous seed- one with wings, one missing limbs, and one both male and female

Rhaenyra bore a winged monstrosity

Aerys and Rhaelle, at least, had many miscarriages

All the mythological "Targs=Dragons" references

Proposal: The dragonlords were being literal: Valyrian dragons are their literal family members, Dunwich-horror style (another Lovecraft reference!), with the human-trait dominant family members being the ruling families and the dragon-trait dominant being the actual dragons. Valyrian blood mages on Gorgossa were continuing an older tradition- the founding bloodmages of Valyria used their own children as experiments to create controllable dragons. Inbreeding fixed the linkage; too dilute, and the dragons no longer "recognized" their kinsfolk, hence the risk to dragonseeds in trying to tame dragons.

That's actually a really interesting theory. Though the fact that dragons supposedly already existed prior to being tamed by Valyrians and the constructions like Hightower (that look like it was made using the same dragonfire construction technique but don't appear to be Valyrian in origin) makes me think that it may not have been the Valyrians who would've begun this tradition. So perhaps the 'Proto-Valyrians' that were theorized to exist were the ones who originally mated beast and man together to create dragons.

I prefer the theory that they did breed Wyrms and Wyverns to make dragons, but that they used some sort of blood magic to bind the dragons to them and that is why they keep the blood line pure. Perhaps the horns are used by an elder member of a family, knowing they are giving their life it is a powerful blood sacrifice, and all those that share in that persons blood can ride dragons that share in the dragon that heard the horns blood.

Archived