Is the World of Ice and Fire free of book spoilers?

Krakenface

Yes, there are spoilers for both books and show. Not many, but those that come to mind spontaneously are quite major (that's why they come to mind probably).

I recommend reading TWOIAF only after you have finished the books.

If you want to read the Dunk and Egg stories afterwards, I'd do that before TWOIAF too. They are part of the history of Westeros that is described in TWOIAF and the first and third Dunk and Egg stories are spoiled completely (for that matter, some Dunk and Egg stories yet to come are also spoiled).

Hmm.. If you can manage to not read the preface (2 pages), and not check any of the appendixes in the back (family trees and the few pages that come before), I think you won't be spoilered for the main series. The reigns of kings discusses every King's reign up to Aerys II (with Aerys II in reat detail), followed by a chapter on the rebellion, and a short page on Robert's reign. The sections on separate Kingdoms usually go all the way to either Robert's Rebellion, or the Greyjoy Rebellion, both of which ended years before the main series starts.

If you like to read novella's before the World Book as well, the first and third D&E stories are spoilered a bit in the World Book.. The second one isn´t. The Princess and the Queen, and The Rogue Prince can be considered more detailed reports of the reins of Viserys I and Aegon II, though the section on Aegon II will go on while tpatq has stopped mid-war. Reading these two novella's will tell you most (but not all), that happens in the sections of Viserys I and Aegon II, but both contain something new, and both contain parts the same..

The future Dunk and Egg spoilers are to a bare minimum...

Perhaps you want to avoid reading the chapter The Fall of the Dragons if you haven't read all the books of the main series yet, as in the last three books of the main series, Robert's Rebellion and all that occured before is slihtly described.. The Fall of the Dragons tells it in detail.

Archived