Of old gods and old races

Luddagain

The WOIF has given us some hints about ancient mysteries but no real answers.

I am not sure if anyone else has addressed this topic but here is my take:

In terms of gods/magic we seem to have:

1. The Green Man aka Garth Greenhand and Blood Raven/Bran. Also known and the Oak King. Here GRRM is borrowing from ancient british/European myth

"A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Branches or vines may sprout from the nose, mouth, nostrils or other parts of the face and these shoots may bear flowers or fruit. Green Men are frequently found in carvings on both secular and ecclesiastical buildings. "The Green Man" is also a popular name for English public houses and various interpretations of the name appear on inn signs, which sometimes show a full figure rather than just the head."

So here we have an ancient fertility god. Now Garth Greenhand also has Greens Seers so I assume there is a direct connection between Green Seers, Isle of Faces Garth Greenhand and Blood Raven/Bran. Although blood sacrifices were once made to this god essentially he is a generous and bountiful god of fertility.

2. In British mythology the Green man routinely battles with the "Winter King" or perhaps the Holly King. Now we KNOW the Starks were Kings of Winter, so we may have a dualism - the Reach - Garth Greenhand versus the ancient King of Winter in the North. Both Summer and Winter are needed for life. Now Bran is CLEARLY associated with Summer so does he have a King of Winter counterpart or is he both Summer and KoW. I am inclined to the view that Bran is the Greenman and Jon KoW

3. Crueler gods are referred to several times - Craster and the story of the Lady who gives her children to demons who come at night. These seem to be the "others" whether gods or another species. Somehow I see Roose Bolton connected with these.

4. Old ones, who live underground. Once again this is old mythology but there seems to be a connection between these in other lands AND the crypts at Winterfell, CoF and the Barrow Lords

There is lots more of course

• 2 months later...

I always picture it has byproducts of the same source of magic ...let's call it the string magic.

Children are proven user of at least 3 differents

WW used at least 2

Mel used ...countless

but it's like atom comprehension and magic is atom manipulation therefor everything

I always picture it has byproducts of the same source of magic ...let's call it the string magic.

Children are proven user of at least 3 differents

WW used at least 2

Mel used ...countless

but it's like atom comprehension and magic is atom manipulation therefor everything

what a nothing answer

Archived