Continuity issues and other evidence of poor planning (Minor S5 spoilers)

Aemon's counsel

As for the necklace I admitted it COULD be a continuity error, but also pointed out the POSSIBILITY that it's not, and we just don't know it yet. I haven't seen the last 7 episodes, have you? Pretending to know the unknowable is a sure sign that you have moved beyond civil discussion right to the borderline of trolling.

This is one of the best definitions of trolling I have read. Thank you.

As for the other stuff... I don't mind the plot inconsistencies and retconning so much as I dislike character development inconsistencies. Jaime's character arc got super muddled after "the scene at the sept." Not that people can't have ups and downs but it was just inconsistent. Varys seems inconsistent to me too now but I am withholding judgment until we learn more about what he is up to. Same with Sansa. Whereas, show!LF doesn't seem inconsistent to me at all. Lots of folks complaining about how he would never be so stupid as to give over Sansa to the Boltons but I don't think there is evidence for that in the show as he often does some pretty dumb things. It is only inconsistent with the books.

Jaqen H'gar is too....magical.

He had alot more power in Season 2(able to move from the top of a cliff to beside Arya), he knows whats Arya learned in the past (That she knows the only God is Death) and now appears too fast in some places(like appearing near Arya when she was getting beat).

All this makes the book event make no sense: Arya hides Needle. Jaqen should immediately know this. Or could have appeared next to her and stop her or something. They written themselves into a hole now. Jaqen cant be fooled like the Kindly man. Jaqen has too much plot power.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people on the forums have commented on things like the fact that Trystane is Doran's only son in S5 contradicts what Tyrion said in S2 about Myrcella marrying Doran's 'youngest son', and that got me thinking about the other continuity issues there have been with the show, namely:

1. Loras being a part of Renly's Kingsguard but then the Tywin threatening to make him a member of the Kingsguard, leaving the Tyrells without an heir. (Clearly they hadn't decided to make Loras the sole male Tyrell heir by S2.)

2. As stated in S5 reviews, Maggy's prophecy still states that Cersei will have three children and none with Robert, despite the fact that in S1 Cersei and Robert talk about a child they had together which died.

In addition to these, there are also instances where the show has clearly laid the groundwork for future book events, only to not follow through:

1. The conversation about Tysha in S1, which wasn't followed through with at the end of S4. Yes, to some extent the S1 conversation works as a stand-alone piece, but for what purpose? Just to give Tyrion another reason to hate Tywin? The Tysha revelation in ASOS does so much more than that, in terms of its implications for Tyrion and Jaime's relationship and Tyrion's future motivations and feelings. The fact that a non-book scene was written to convey in the show what Tyrion believed to be the truth about Tysha circa 'A Game of Thrones' suggests to me that the showrunners had originally intended to follow through.

2. Including Wendel Manderly at the Red Wedding. Yes, he's a glorified extra in the background for no more than a few seconds, but placing a character named Wendel Manderly in the Red Wedding was clearly intended as a way for subtly setting up Wyman Manderly and his motivations for future seasons, and yet from all we know so far it seems extremely unlike that the character will appear in the show. I realise that this is an incredibly minor point, but it's one that bothers me especially as I love Manderly and dearly wanted him to be in the show.

3. The fact that Balon is still alive, in spite of Mel's leech burnings. In fact, pretty much anything regarding the Ironborn post S3, as they seem to have been forgotten completely in terms of them being any sort of ongoing concern, despite all the set-up early on in S2.

4. The Brotherhood Without Banners. Not only have they been absent since S3, but they're ostensible narrative purpose (to provide narrative justification for Catelyn's resurrection) is irrelevant since the show is unlikely to introduce Lady Stoneheart at this point.

Do we know for certain that Trystane is the youngest son yet? It seems most likely but it is perhaps not necessary for Trystane to be the heir so unless the show mentions he is the heir I do not count this a continuity error. Arianne and Quentyn could exist without them having to do anything with the plot or being mentioned. I understand if others do, I just personally do get annoyed if it is not mentioned he is the heir. And I guess if they do I just pretend in my head that Arianne and Quentyn died between season of some local plague ;).

I watched the show first and I tough the story was for character building reasons. Why Tyrion only sleeps with whores and explains why he wants his relationship with Shae work, and exactly how bad relationship between him and Tywin is. The show runners were not certain they would make to the Red Wedding, they were not planning that far ahead. And I would like to say that: the Tysha thing wound not have worked in the show, others have probably explained before why, Tyrion had reasons to mad at Tywin and Tyrion was clearly in bad place emotionally so he was not thinking logically. And that in the middle of the night Tyrion probaly assumed Tywin would be asleep so there would not have been a huge risk.

I do not know why there has to be a time-table for Balon's death. I quite certain he will die and it has not happened yet because the show runners were maybe planning to do the Greyjoy plot and we would see Balon's death. If they decide not to include anything of it in season 6 either it could be just mentioned at some point.

If you are a show-only watcher you do not know or care about Wyman Manderly so what it matters if he is Red Wedding or not? It does not affect show continuity in any way.

Brotherhood could show up next season and even if they do not they were a impotent part of Arya's story arch. We learned about the effects of war, learned more about Lord of Light religion and saw resurrection working and it was a plot device for the Hound and Arya to meet and Melisandre to get Gendry. They do not need to show up again in the show they had a purpose. If you look them from book perspective you can say they could have done more but they were not unnecessary for season 3 story and so used well already.

And Renly's Kingsguard could have been able to inherit and marry or Loras joined without his family's approval.

So I do not thing any of these are problems. There are real issues however like:

Cersei's kid, which bothers me. I personally pretend Cersei and a stillbirth and was lying about him living to manipulate Catelyn or something.

Joffrey is mentioned as 17 (probably to sound a big coward for Blackwater) during season 2. But with Cersei's kid the timeline does not mach for Robert's rebellion and how Cersei is Queen Regent up to Joffrey's wedding if he is that old? Do people in show Westeros come of age when they are 21? In episode 2 of season 5 Cersei says Tommen is not of age but she is not Queen Regent anymore? This does not make sense to me. I guess people in show Westeros could become of age at 21 but not need Regents after getting married but this seems silly.

And Allister Thorne was sent to King's Landing with wight hand but he never arrived. This is kind of a big continuity issue. These are all I can think now, I am tired. But I am sure all tv series and movies and, yes, even the asoiaf books have continuity issues and plot holes. There are some sites that track these. But in the end they are not big issues and do not ruin shows.

In s4, Robin Arryn says he's never left the Eyrie before, but in s1 Cat says Lysa hasn't been back there since her wedding.

Robin wasn't born yet. Cat and Lysa got married at the same time.

Edit: And now I'm realizing that wasn't you point, and remembering that Robin lived in King's Landing with Lysa and Jon while he was king.

Archived