AGOT Reread- Arya

Barba

• 4 weeks later...

Arya II

Introduced: Jacks (guardsman of the Hand, later under Hallis Mollen with Robb’s army [could there be two Jacks?]);

Tomard* (Fat Tom, another guardsman of the Hand, killed by Lannisters and City watch of King's Landing during Eddard's arrest);

Syrio Forel* (once First Sword of the Sealord of Braavos, trains Arya, unknown if he is dead).

Arya leaves the table of the Hand in anger, she wants nothing to do with tourneys and hates being in King’s Landing. She runs to her room and bolts herself in, despite Septa Mordane’s pleas. Ned comes to her, and discovers Needle. She won’t tell him that Jon gave it to her. Her father pleads with her to stop quarreling with her sister. Ned tells her she resembles Lyanna, although Arya doesn’t believe him because she had heard her aunt was beautiful. He tells her Lyanna would have carried a sword, if his lord father had permitted it. Lyanna had the ‘wolf-blood’, like Arya. We learn that Arya and Jory had to drive Nymeria off by throwing rocks at her. Ned feels that Arya should be trained in the use of a sword. The next day, Syrio Forel begins to train Arya in the ways of being a Water Dancer, the fighting style of the First Sword of Braavos.

Arya II

Introduced: Jacks (guardsman of the Hand, later under Hallis Mollen with Robb’s army [could there be two Jacks?]);

Tomard* (Fat Tom, another guardsman of the Hand, killed by Lannisters and City watch of King's Landing during Eddard's arrest);

Syrio Forel* (once First Sword of the Sealord of Braavos, trains Arya, unknown if he is dead).

Arya leaves the table of the Hand in anger, she wants nothing to do with tourneys and hates being in King’s Landing. She runs to her room and bolts herself in, despite Septa Mordane’s pleas. Ned comes to her, and discovers Needle. She won’t tell him that Jon gave it to her. Her father pleads with her to stop quarreling with her sister. Ned tells her she resembles Lyanna, although Arya doesn’t believe him because she had heard her aunt was beautiful. He tells her Lyanna would have carried a sword, if his lord father had permitted it. Lyanna had the ‘wolf-blood’, like Arya. We learn that Arya and Jory had to drive Nymeria off by throwing rocks at her. Ned feels that Arya should be trained in the use of a sword. The next day, Syrio Forel begins to train Arya in the ways of being a Water Dancer, the fighting style of the First Sword of Braavos.

Like many of the early chapters in Game this provides us with enough information to hang preconceived notions of fantasy on (the two sisters (beautiful snob, disowns her own family for social advancement, the honest, awkward girl who stays true to her principles and modern conceptions of womanhood) while laying the groundwork for these to be over-turned in due course (as Arya turns into what seems to be an increasinly isolated and sociopathic path, while Sansa seems to be developing into a more rounded person).

Another reference trying both virtue (ferocity, integrety, courage, activism) and vice (impetuousness, temper, perhaps even judgmentalism?) into a concept (wolfblood) that is part supernatural (warging) and part "myth" or "family story" (the Starks as Wolves, cf Targaryen's as Dragons, Lannisters as Lions etc).

A very positive portrayal of Ned, both giving his daughter hope (whether she wants it or not) for becoming a beautiful, elegent woman like Lyanna, and also allowing her to be who she is even when that doesn't comply with sociol norms (arranging her teaching) and even demonstrating some initiative in doing so by reaching beyond the context of the martial traditions of the Seven Kingdoms and beyond even the Kingdoms themselves to find the ideal combat system for her.

Arya making a tough decision (driving off Nymeria) and Jory demonstrating his fealty to Ned and the Starks over the monarchy, and showing initiative in doing so, giving us (false) hope for him in the future.

Finally, another, mainly the first, in Arya's long list of "fad" fighting styles, which will lead, of course, to the Faceless Men, and possibly beyond.

T

Arya II

I love this chapter. The first time I read it, I noticed Ned's parenting. He gives Arya exactly what she needs, acceptance. We are also introduced to Syrio, who is immediately likeable. Rereading, I noticed more about why Arya is so sad and mad. She misses Mycah and feels guilty about his death. She's mad that no one in her father's household did anything about his murder. Septa Mordaine comes off looking very bad. The child she is supposed to be taking care of is deeply depressed, and all she can do is find fault with everything she does. Contrast this with Syrio, who sees that she is left-handed and makes it a strength - her enemies will be more awkward fighting her. I wonder if maybe the reason Arya isn't good at sewing and writing is that the Septa made her use her right hand. Syrio notices that she is very skinny. Again, he makes this a strength, saying that it makes her a smaller target. You can also contrast his teaching style with Alliser Thorne who looks for weaknesses in his students just so he can belittle them.

Foreshadowing:

Ned tells Arya about the lone wolf vs the pack. When winter comes, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Timeline:

There are no definite time details. They've been in KL long enough to have established a routine. The tournament hasn't happened yet. Knights are coming from as far away as the Twins IFAICR, so it will be many weeks between Ned's first council meeting and the tournament.

Foreshadowing:

Ned tells Arya about the lone wolf vs the pack. When winter comes, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Foreshadowing of what? Maybe something that has yet to happen.

IIRC in SoS after her mother dies, she comments this statement of ned and says that he was wrong. Her mother and her brother - the pack - were dead, and she - alone - remained alive

Foreshadowing of what? Maybe something that has yet to happen.

IIRC in SoS after her mother dies, she comments this statement of ned and says that he was wrong. Her mother and her brother - the pack - were dead, and she - alone - remained alive

Just so... :)

When Cat 'dies' in ASoS, winter has not yet come. Her pack is separated, but this is the time when the lone wolf *can* survive. Now, at the end of AFfC, winter is finally coming. This is when we'll see the proof of Ned's words. I don't think we'll see much advancement in ADoD, simply because it's supposed to largely overlap with AFfC. However, in a book titled 'The Winds of Winter', I think we'll see the Starks either re-unite, or die off. During that book, I think we'll see the Starks struggle to survive, individually, and slowly start to come out of the woodwork. By the end of TWoW, any Starks that will survive will have found each other, and begun to work together. And then ADoS will have the necessary climax.

Thoughts?

Arya II

I love this chapter. The first time I read it, I noticed Ned's parenting. He gives Arya exactly what she needs, acceptance. Foreshadowing:

I love this chapter too. Arya's reflections on her father at Winterfell are lovely. The whole chapter reinforces my belief that Ned was a good man.

I worry about that foreshadowing. Does anyone believe the Starks can reunite to save themselves?

Great chapter. Especially the end of it.

Like in her first chapter, Arya has bad relationship with her sister. Only difference is, in winterfell she had Robb, Bran, Rickon and Jon. Over here she is alone, and (with addition of what happened with Myrcah) she is starting to 'keep her feelings for herself', and in a way distance herself from all around her.

In here we learn about relation Ned has with his men. Something we could expect from Ned.

She liked her door. Cause she could seal them shut, so noone could get near her. Only thing she likes is being alone. Again the separation from everyone. And the thing she runs to when she is alone is...Needle. I think she is distancing herself even from her father because he never said a word to dog for killing Myrcah.

She is angry, and she dosen't think about killing everyone, but about running away from them all to winterfell. kinda reminds of all those Ned's thoughts about how his place is in winterfell, not here.

When father asks her where did she get it, she dosen't lie. She is Silent, and 'keeps her secrets for herself'. But then again, after all, she tels him how she asked Myrcah to play with her. She opens up to him. I find this as smart thing george did, because he is showing us how Arya is distancing herself from everyone, but she is not completley distanced from Her father yet.

When she talks about nym, she says that there were other wolves int he woods she can play with. Sounds like foreshadowing of what Nym is doing right now. Also 'pack survives' might have it's meaning there - like foreshadow of union between Arya and Nym.

Nothing to add about Syrio. :cool:

Here' some stuff I noticed on the re-read:

1. As has been mentioned, we see the roots of her "loner-ness" that becomes stronger throughout the rest of the story. She's already angry about her men and father for the death of Micah.

2. The "Wolf Blood" is kind of interesting if you are interested in the Rhaegar and Lyanna relationship. Ned says that both Lyanna and his brother (Brandon) had the wolf blood, a kind of wildness in them, that brought them to early graves.

We find out later that this has significance to how Brandon died. Before he was executed, he barged angrily into Aerys's hall and demanded to know where Lyanna had been taken, a very impulsive move in his situation. This makes me wonder if the same thing is being implied in Lyanna's death; maybe she ran off, somewhat impulsively, with Rhaegar, which ultimately lead to her death not too long after the War of the Usurper. Or, she caught Rhaegar's eye when, after searching, he may have found out that she was the Knight of the Laughing Tree (assuming it was her).

The above is only speculation, but like many things, it has some intriguing wording.

We find out later that this has significance to how Brandon died. Before he was executed, he barged angrily into Aerys's hall and demanded to know where Lyanna had been taken, a very impulsive move in his situation.

IIRC Brandon died because he came to King's Landing and demanded for Rhaegar to 'come out and die'. Then he was arrested, and his father was called to KL, where they both died: Rickard burned, and Brandon stragled.

IIRC Brandon died because he came to King's Landing and demanded for Rhaegar to 'come out and die'. Then he was arrested, and his father was called to KL, where they both died: Rickard burned, and Brandon stragled.

My mistake. I still think the point stands, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Arya (III)

Arya is chasing an old black tomcat, part of her training with Syrio Forel. She corners the cat and is seen by Prince Tommen and Princess Myrcella, who don’t recognize her. She flees, and finds herself in the dungeons beneath the Red Keep. She finds the room with the dragon skulls, then comes upon a deep well with a winding staircase. Two men are climbing it, and from their descriptions, it must be Varys (he wears the same disguise when he visits Ned in the dungeon later) and Magister Illyrio. The conversation revolves around what the Hand will do once he finds out the truth. Varys says the wolf and lion will soon be at each others’ throats as the Hand is not a man to put aside the attempt on his son’s life. Illyrio says it is too soon, “what good is war now?â€, ‘we’ need more time. Varys says he can’t delay the inevitable unless he were a wizard, to which Illyrio responds that the eunuch is. Illyrio says, "If one Hand can die, why not a second?".

Illyrio remarks that Dany is pregnant, but the Khal will not bestir himself until the child is born. Varys says time is running out, as more players enter the game. Lord Stannis and Lysa Arryn are gathering swords, Ser Loras and Lord Renly intend to try to wed Margaery Tyrell to King Robert (after he discards Cersei). Varys knows not what Littlefinger is up to. But Ned is the one who worries him. He tells Illyrio, "Delay, you say. Make haste, I reply". Varys says he needs another 50 birds, and Illyrio says they are hard to find, “so young, to know their lettersâ€, to which Varys responds "the younger are safer". Arya makes her way to the Tower of the Hand, but Ned believes not a word of what she is telling him, about monsters and wizards. Yoren arrives with word of what transpired at the Crossroads with Cat taking Tyrion captive, but he insists it is for Ned’s ears only. Arya asks Desmond how many men her father has, and Desmond tells her fifty, but each northman is worth 10 southron swords.

The cat Arya chases may be Princess Rhaenys's kitten Balerion.

Arya shows her knack for making friends by getting the Goldcloak to tell her the story of the cat stealing a quail from Tywin's fingers.

I love reading about Arya's escape from Mycella and Tommen and their guards. She's so awesome!

Arya wishes Jon were here because he would believe her story. Why doesn't she try telling Jory or Harwin?

• 3 weeks later...
Arya wishes Jon were here because he would believe her story. Why doesn't she try telling Jory or Harwin?

She dosen't have that kind of relationship with them. and if her father didn't belive, noone would. I wonder why Syrio didn't cross her mind. Probably because he is her trainer, and they don't have other kind of relationship.

We have Arya's dream.

When they had first come to King’s Landing, she used to have bad dreams about getting lost in the castle. Father said the Red Keep was smaller than Winterfell, but in her dreams it had been immense, an endless stone maze with walls that seemed to shift and change behind her. She would find herself wandering down gloomy halls past faded tapestries, descending endless circular stairs, darting through courtyards or over bridges, her shouts echoing unanswered. In some of the rooms the red stone walls would seem to drip blood, and nowhere could she find a window. Sometimes she would hear her father’s voice, but always from a long way off, and no matter how hard she ran after it, it would grow fainter and fainter, until it faded to nothing and Arya was alone in the dark.

I think that Red keep and Winterfell in her dreams don't represent buildings, but People inside of them. Red keep was smaller than winterfell, but in her dreams it was immense. That means that in winterfell it was known who is boss, and what are each men's obligations, but here in Red keep there are lot of players and each has some kind of power. Walls-shift imo represents treasons and open rules of the game of thrones where anything can happen. she is also alone, what might be foreshadow of events later in the series

• 4 weeks later...

Arya (IV)

Arya is training with Syrio Forel before they are due to board ship for Winterfell. Syrio tells her the story of how he became the first sword to the Sealord of Braavos, by being able to see the truth. As they are talking, 5 Lannister guardsmen and Ser Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard barge in, saying her father wants to see her. Arya and Syrio know that her father would never send Lannister men, and they begin to close on her. Syrio, armed only with a wooden practice sword, kills all 5 Lannister guards, but is then confronted by Ser Meryn, armored head to toe. Syrio tells Arya to run, but when she tells him to escape with her, Syrio replies, "The first sword of Braavos does not run". Arya retreats, but when she gets near the doors to the Tower of the Hand, she hears fighting and sees dead bodies at the door. She runs for the stables, finding Fat Tom dead, and sees her chest on the floor. She retrieves Needle, and has to use it on a stablehand who discovers her, killing someone for the first time. Arya enters the dungeons beneath the Red Keep, seeking a way out into the city.

If Syrio died in his fight with Trant, it's a great sacrifice, and a really heroic death. However, if Syrio turns up later in the story, I'll be really happy.

GRRM teases us with the "Look with your eyes" comment. Arya sees Syrio with a broken sword and Trant in full armor, so you think that Syrio probably died. On the other hand, Arya just saw Syrio kill five men with nothing but a wooden sword. Surely, he could have found a way to beat Trant.

Yeah... I'd love to think it's possible that Syrio survived... but we see Trant later, and he's none the worse. Nor was there a trail of bodies leading out of the Red Keep, or any mention of a dancing master bludgeoning his way out of King's Landing.

Unless Syrio's a FM (and I know it's been suggested), I think Syrio's unfortunate demise sets up Arya's later comfort with the Kindly Old Man on Braavos. 'Just so'.

I think Syrio died. Even George said something as:"look at the situation he was in, and make your own conclusion." BTW, he did defeat 5 lesser swordsman with less armor. I think that without his sword he didn't stood a chance (except, maybe, do what Bron did - run around and wait untill Meryn got tired. Then, I don't know).

• 1 month later...

Arya V

Arya is living off pigeons in the alleys of Flea Bottom. Seeking a way out of the city, she is swept along by the crowd to the Great Sept of Baelor where her father will be judged before the gods. Ned proclaims his guilt, and swears fealty to Joffrey, but the King calls for Lord Stark’s head anyway. Both Varys and the Queen are stunned by his decision, but as quick as it was said Lord Slynt shoved Eddard down and Ser Ilyn, wielding Ice, beheaded him. Arya does not see the sword blow, as she is caught by Yoren who takes her into a back alley. He cuts her hair and warns her to pretend she is a boy.

Archived