How many valyrian swords?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

How many valyrian steel swords are there in westeros and who owns them?

We know about a couple swords but we haven't seen many of them yet.

"Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone." These are Tyrion's thoughts. If he is right (for me, it seems pretty much), where are they?

[Do all the Great Houses own Valyrian steel weapons?]

Oh, there are more Valyrian swords than we have seen so far. Not all of them belong to the Great Houses. Lesser nobility would oft purchase one as well, for the prestige, and sometimes knights or even lesser swords would acquire one on the battlefield, after the original owner fell.

GRRM, 2008

So.. yeah. It would seem like a fair few are the prized possession of some lesser house.

I'll give you what I remember. I know some are lost as far as we know, but that doesn't mean they're lost for all time.

There's Ice, Eddard's VS sword that was in his family for 400 years, a gift from the Baratheon's.

Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail were made out of Ice once it was melted down and reforged.

Brightroar, the Lannisters VS sword, supposedly lost.

Dawn is not VS so it does not count.

Heart's Bane which I think is House Tarly.

Blackfyre, Targaryen sword.

Lady Forlorn

Longclaw from Bear Island given to Jon Snow by Lord Commander Mormont.

Vigilance.

I'm sure there is one from the Iron Islands but I can't remember it.

I'll give you what I remember. I know some are lost as far as we know, but that doesn't mean they're lost for all time.

There's Ice, Eddard's VS sword that was in his family for 400 years, a gift from the Baratheon's.

Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail were made out of Ice once it was melted down and reforged.

Lady Forlorn

Vigilance.

The wiki actually has a pretty extensive list:

Blades known to still exist:

Lady Forlorn, the ancestral sword of House Corbray, currently in the possession of Ser Lyn Corbray.

Longclaw, the ancestral Valyrian steel bastard sword of House Mormont. Currently in the possession of Jon Snow.

Nightfall, the ancestral blade of House Harlaw and currently wielded by Ser Harras Harlaw.

Oathkeeper, one of two Valyrian blades reforged by Tobho Mott from Ice. The blade was made for Ser Jaime Lannister, but he has given it to Brienne of Tarth for use in her quest to locate Sansa Stark. The blade was given its name, Oathkeeper, at that time.

Red Rain, the sword of House Drumm, which was stolen by them in a raid.[7] Given the name and coloring, possibly the ancestral sword of House Reyne.

Widow's Wail, one of two Valyrian blades reforged by Tobho Mott from Ice. Following Joffrey Baratheon's death, ownership of Widow's Wail has presumably passed to his younger brother, Tommen.

The dagger with dragonbone hilt wielded by Bran Stark's failed assassin, and currently in the possession of Petyr Baelish.

Valyrian steel arakh owned by Caggo.[8]

Valyrian steel axe reputedly possessed by House Celtigar.[9]

Blades with known fates:

Blades with unknown fates:

• Blackfyre, the sword of Aegon I Targaryen. Carried by all Targaryen kings until Aegon IV, who gave it to his bastard Daemon, who rose in rebellion against the Targaryens, taking the sword's name for his house. Its whereabouts are currently unknown.

Brightroar, the ancestral sword of House Lannister, lost when King Tommen II Lannister of the Rock sailed to Valyria and never returned.

Dark Sister, the sword wielded by Visenya Targaryen. Its last known owner was Bryden "Bloodraven" Rivers.

Lamentation, the ancestral sword of House Royce, lost in the Storming of the Dragonpit.[10]

Orphan-Maker, the ancestral sword of House Roxton. Its last known owner was Ser Jon Roxton.[11]

Truth, a Valyrian steel sword last carried by Moredo Rogare of Lys.[12]

Vigilance, the ancestral sword of House Hightower. Its last known owner was Lord Ormund Hightower.[11]

Lady Forlorn

Vigilance.

Yes, I know about these. I was interested in where are the other 192.

Archived