Your early book theories

I accidentally thought that Lysa killed Jon Arryn while reading book 1. I read something like Arryn was with 'Robert and his wife' while he died, and while this meant his son Robert Arryn and wife Lysa Arryn, I thought king Robert and his wife, Cersei. And of course, I thought 'she was the one who killed him'. Why was she there when he died?'. I soon realized it was Lysa not Cersei who was with Jon Arryn, but the idea of Lysa poisoning her husband stayed. Especially with all the inconsistencies about her lying to Cat about Robert's plans for Sweetrobin.

After first read of GoT, was 100% sure Jon's mother is Ashara Dayne. Immediately corrected myself after reading CoK.

I also thought Jon will find something about his mother North of the Wall, because of Stonesnake saying 'mountain is your mother' line.

My first read through though of all five books, thought Tyrion was Aerys bastard. (I only had to wait 2 weeks after reading the first four books until ADWD came out).

Also, thought (and still think) that Aurane Waters will arrive at Eastwatch with ships full of obsidian from Dragonstone.

I remember getting to a point (maybe during aCoK) in which I realized that things are likely to continue to get worse before then got better, particularly for the Starks. So, knowing this, I asked myself that if I could come up with a happy ending (or at least as close to happy as possible) for all the characters that I had grown to love, what would that be?

I don't remember exactly what I came up with, but I do remember dreaming of free folk being allowed south of the wall to setting and maybe even become a sort-of support system for the Night's Watch. Among all my wild happily-ever-after dreams, it didn't seem likely.

At the time I didn't even know about "The Gift," so when I learned about that I was pleasantly suprised. I certainly didn't imagine Stannis would be involved...

Sorry if this is a bit egotisical "I was right!" post, but it's just what came to mind. I guess it's easy to forget all my fairy tale wishes that were crushed. Among them was the Night's Watch members being allowed to marry and have families...I suppose that is still possible, but kind of a minor issue compared to everything else that's happening.

I remember getting to a point (maybe during aCoK) in which I realized that things are likely to continue to get worse before then got better, particularly for the Starks. So, knowing this, I asked myself that if I could come up with a happy ending (or at least as close to happy as possible) for all the characters that I had grown to love, what would that be?

I don't remember exactly what I came up with, but I do remember dreaming of free folk being allowed south of the wall to setting and maybe even become a sort-of support system for the Night's Watch. Among all my wild happily-ever-after dreams, it didn't seem likely.

At the time I didn't even know about "The Gift," so when I learned about that I was pleasantly suprised. I certainly didn't imagine Stannis would be involved...

Sorry if this is a bit egotisical "I was right!" post, but it's just what came to mind. I guess it's easy to forget all my fairy tale wishes that were crushed. Among them was the Night's Watch members being allowed to marry and have families...I suppose that is still possible, but kind of a minor issue compared to everything else that's happening.

I had a pretty similar though about the Wildlings, not really early on, but well before the battle for the Wall. It just made sense for the Wildlings to be allowed south of the Wall, it takes away human resources away from the Others and it helps the Night's Watch. The Others are the common enemy, I really though it would go much smoother then it has because it is in the common interest of both parties.

Archived