Middle East and North Africa 20 - The End of the Beginning in Syria? SPECIAL BONUS RUSSIAN JET CRISIS EDITION

Horza

53 minutes ago, cgrnosfe said:

What does it matter anyway? There are already 3 million ( at least ) Syrians in Turkey and a 5 million more on the way if Russia succeeds in destroying turkish supply lines into Syria, which is imminent.

I can safely claim that Syria has already invaded turkey with its people.

Erdogan is going the wrong way, I would just make the army prepare a safe passage from Syria into Europe. Then watch the Europeans bomb the sh.t out of Assad...

This ridiculous habit really needs to end; groups of refugees fleeing to another country does not constitute an invasion, it is a silly paranoia driven fantasy that a large group of people arriving at once (even though compared to the preexisting population of the areas they are arriving in the numbers are tiny) with the permission of the authorities there is them "invading". Just because parts of the population do not like it, it doesn't mean they arrived with the help of violence.

11 hours ago, ElizabethB. said:

I would not mind to continue discussing about actual facts here, though. 

Ok, lets do that then. 

16 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Russia has the advantage of more cohesive strategic leadership and the ultimate threat of their nuclear arsenal to even things out a bit but in the normal course of affairs they need to box smart to gain some advantages against the alliance that is indeed encircling them, whatever the West tries to portray Nato's growth as.

This a common silovik view that in fact clearly portrays the expansionist and supremacist attitude that the siloviks have for their unaligned, non Nato neighbours. Other posters repeat this view as well.

What does it matter anyway? There are already 3 million ( at least ) Syrians in Turkey and a 5 million more on the way if Russia succeeds in destroying turkish supply lines into Syria, which is imminent.

I can safely claim that Syria has already invaded turkey with its people.

Erdogan is going the wrong way, I would just make the army prepare a safe passage from Syria into Europe. Then watch the Europeans bomb the sh.t out of Assad...

This ridiculous habit really needs to end; groups of refugees fleeing to another country does not constitute an invasion, it is a silly paranoia driven fantasy that a large group of people arriving at once (even though compared to the preexisting population of the areas they are arriving in the numbers are tiny) with the permission of the authorities there is them "invading". Just because parts of the population do not like it, it doesn't mean they arrived with the help of violence.

Correct, but my argument is still valid in this way : if Assad had really invaded turkey with its army, there still wouldn't be this many Syrians in Turkey. So yes the literal word invasion might not fit here, but it still can be used to point at how devastating the results are.

Western & turkish & saudi foreign policy has been able to deliver worse results than the worst results. I would start by firing foreign policy experts...

Archived