The Compendium of Symbolism of Sigils

The WolfSpider

2 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

It's more like Martin is simply mishmashing a bunch of different real life heraldry techniques together from all different ages. For instance House Ryswell has a specific style of Bordure that's most commonly found in Scottish heraldry (which is distinct from English for those unaware--although I'm sure the person I'm quoting is aware of).

As for the play on last names and such, that's more common in the Germanic/Nordic heraldry:

Rotenhuet (Argent, a hat gules) of Silesia
Rosenparre (Azul, three roses gules upon a chevron argent) of Denmark
Swinhufvud (Azul, a swine's head nombril argent, a six-sided star middle chief Or) of Sweden

Though apparently Cornwall likes to have its own punning:

Trebarefoote (Sable, a chevron Or, three bear's paws two honor point dexter and sinister and one nombril Or)
Tremayne (Gules, three hands in a trefoil Or)

I definitely agree that it's a bit of a melting pot across both worlds. That's why I believe you could make a lifetime study of heraldry just in our world, and still find new things to learn. 

It just seems to me that there are *more* literalisms in Westeros heraldry based on name and family legend, with some of our stuff tossed in. Which is fine with me. I love the picture in my mind of all the varied and creative and informative banners streaming by in their world.  And so many of the arms in our world were already getting absolutely ridiculous by the Renaissance era. I believe that the arms of Buckingham now have over 700 quarterings?

Archived