Were the Kingsguard loyal to Aerys or Rhaegar?

theblackdragonI

The fact that half the kingsguard, including the Lord Commander remained at the Tower of Joy has always struck me as odd. There are three possible reasons I think for this:

1) They chose to obey Rhaegar over Aerys. The White Bull, Dayne and Whent were renowned as honourable men, on par with Ned, and men like these have trouble breaking oaths. Remember, these are the men who watched in silence as the mad king descended into madness, raping his wife, and brutally murdering innocents. Would they really break their loyalty in their kings moment of need? Maybe Dayne, who was closer in age and friendship with Rhaegar than anyone else, but the Lord Commander? Furthermore, was this a private mutiny? Why weren't the rest of the KG told of this?

2) They were really obeying Aerys the entire time. If this is true then it means Aerys sanctioned the kidnapping, or at least imprisonment of Lyanna. We don't know how long the KG were at the Tower. It seems odd that in none of the memories from the Rebellion, bar Ned, that the absence of the KG is mentioned. Not even Barristan or Jaime mention it, except for Jaime feeling resentful at being left alone to guard Aerys. So was there a hidden co-operation between Aerys and Rhaegar to safeguard the continuity of their line? I find it odd that Aerys in the midst of his paranoia and insanity, with the enemy at his gates, was content to be guarded by Jaime Lannister alone and doesn't question where the rest of his Kingsguard are. 

3) That the KG were under orders to remain there and protect the pregnant Lyanna until further notice. Word must have reached them that Aerys and Rhaegar had been slain, so given that R+L=J, and that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, then they must stay to protect the heir. Perhaps they hoped to escape across the sea to reunite with Viserys and Dany, when Lyanna fell into labour and Ned arrived. They obviously didn't believe the child would be safe in a Baratheon ruled world and so died to protect the heir. 

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why they were, who put them there and the whole situation in general, cheers.

I've taken it as being a sign that the Kingsguard was loyal to the dynasty, and fortunate enough that when the Rebellion really kicked off, Aerys wasn't quite arrogant or stupid enough to counter Rhaegar's orders once he actually came out of hiding. Considering they had no problem standing by while Aerys threw away stability through his madness, I don't think they would have quite turned on him unless Rhaegar explicitly declared his intentions, which we only know he hinted at obliquely towards Jaime.

Now, that only means we don't have any recorded instances of Whent, Hightower, or Dayne receiving conflicting orders. We know that Selmy, Martell, Lannister and Darry seemed to have been deployed as expected at least late in the war. It's possible we may have witnessed a short schism between the ranks, with those closest to Rhaegar staying at the Tower of Joy, those who made it to the Trident maybe serving Aerys directly, and poor Jaime stuck out of the loop.

2) They were obeying Aerys orders the whole time.

But only the orders he explicitly gave. Dayne and Whent were probably told to follow Rhaegars instructions. Hightower to bring Rhaegar back to Kings Landing.

If Rhaegar would only go back to Kings Landing if Hightower would stay in his place then that would be following Aerys orders to the letter if not the spirit.

Once Rhaegar, Aerys and Aegon are dead as far as they are concerned Jon is the rightful King and their duty belongs to him. 

Archived