Seams and the glass candle

YOVMO

So I am pretty sure that @Seams has a glass candle and is forcing my current rereading to notice things that go along with many posts.

So I am reading fest for crows in the Brienne section where her and pod and ser hyle leave the Quiet Island. When Septon Merabald is giving them the history of the Old Inn he gets to when an old knight who had become a smith took over.

"He forged a new sign for the year, a three-headed dragon of black iron that hung from a window post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire" 

So yeah, a black dragon held together by seams.

The thing that struck me is that that knight was Long Jon Heddle. One of the dragons heads washed up on the shore of the quiet island. The Inn itself is on Darry lands. Eventually the inn passed to his granddaughter (I think) Masha Heddle and is currently owned by Jayne Heddle.

Not sure if you are aware of what a heddle is but it is the part of a loom where "every thread in a warp passes through"

Figured if you already knew you wouldn't mind seeing and if you didn't it is just the kind of thing you would like

2 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

So I am pretty sure that @Seams has a glass candle and is forcing my current rereading to notice things that go along with many posts.

So I am reading fest for crows in the Brienne section where her and pod and ser hyle leave the Quiet Island. When Septon Merabald is giving them the history of the Old Inn he gets to when an old knight who had become a smith took over.

"He forged a new sign for the year, a three-headed dragon of black iron that hung from a window post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire"

The thing that struck me is that that knight was Long Jon Heddle. One of the dragons heads washed up on the shore of the quiet island. The Inn itself is on Darry lands. Eventually the inn passed to his granddaughter (I think) Masha Heddle and is currently owned by Jayne Heddle.

Not sure if you are aware of what a heddle is but it is the part of a loom where "every thread in a warp passes through"

Figured if you already knew you wouldn't mind seeing and if you didn't it is just the kind of thing you would like

I did not know and you're right: I love this! I knew about the dragon sign, I mean, and I remember that a rusted head from the sign had washed up on the Quiet Isle, but the details about how the dragon sign was made had gone in one ear and out the other, I guess. And I did not know at all what a heddle is. I can't believe it never occurred to me to look it up! I knew that inns were important, and now we can link them to weaving and fabric and my favorite sewing motif. Thanks!

And you, in turn, have enriched my reading. I just looked at an excerpt yesterday where Ned's bones have been laid out for Catelyn to look over in private. She finds that his skull has been joined to his body with silver wire. So I bet there's supposed to be a parallel between the dragon sign and the skeleton held together by wire.

I wish I had a glass candle, but all I have is this dumb old slow Internet connection. Darn.

2 minutes ago, Seams said:

I did not know and you're right: I love this! I knew about the dragon sign, I mean, and I remember that a rusted head from the sign had washed up on the Quiet Isle, but the details about how the dragon sign was made had gone in one ear and out the other, I guess. And I did not know at all what a heddle is. I can't believe it never occurred to me to look it up! I knew that inns were important, and now we can link them to weaving and fabric and my favorite sewing motif. Thanks!

And you, in turn, have enriched my reading. I just looked at an excerpt yesterday where Ned's bones have been laid out for Catelyn to look over in private. She finds that his skull has been joined to his body with silver wire. So I bet there's supposed to be a parallel between the dragon sign and the skeleton held together by wire.

I wish I had a glass candle, but all I have is this dumb old slow Internet connection. Darn.

You must have a glass candle else I wouldn't be sitting here going "where the hell have i heard of a heddle before" I once knew someone who loomed for fun. Anyway, I went to the wiki for heddle which, I am sure you have by now, and instantly realized I had to post it for you.

You have a lot of good stuff. Always glad to lend a hand. I look forward to seeing how you work this in.

4 minutes ago, Seams said:

btw the fact that it specifically has to do with putting threads through a "warp" was pretty good huh

4 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Very interesting, also interesting how many odd things happen in an Inn owned by former Blackfyre supporters.  Maybe some people were secretly making dragon banners.

Archived