Aegon the Conqueror seems overrated

Floki of the Ironborn

5 hours ago, dornishdragon said:

So how do you suggest the conquest should have been made? Aegon and his sisters killed only in the amount needed to conquer Westeros. When Torrhen Stark mached South to face Aegon, he could have not accepted their surrender and kill them or instead substitute the kings of the several kingdoms for other houses. 

Okay, just realized the point I was arguing against is that the 7 Kingdoms needed to be conquered.

16 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

I suck at quoting long answers, so I'll just write in italics below each of your paragraphs. Sorry mate.

You said yourself before that Dragonstone isn't a great seat. Hell even Stannis isn't happy there. I don't think the Lannisters, Targaryens and the bannermen around Dragonstone would be happy with giving the ancestral seat to a defeated house. After Harrenhal and the Field of Fire, I'm sure the majority of lords considered Aegon to be generous and magnanimous. He allowed the Lannisters and Tyrells to retain their seats and all their bannermen, which certainly earned House Targaryen their support in the future.

There were three Targaryens that really matter, Aegon and the two others whom he shares his bed with. Resistance to change would have been difficult but I am pretty sure that the wealth and beauty of the Westerlands/Reach will sway them one day. The Lannisters would count themselves happy that the King had allowed them to live and had also given them a Lordship. The Tyrells would be thrilled of getting Highgarden and a big chunk of the Reach. Don’t forget that they both fought against Aegon so really, they are at the king’s mercy.
This is not about gaining the trust NOW. Aegon doesn’t need that since both regions had bent the knee and no one was in the mood of facing dragons any time soon. This was all making sure the Targs would remain strong in the future irrespective whether they had dragons or not. In time, Aegon’s generosity would fade from the bannermen’s memory as they return to their usual routine, serving the same family, they had been serving for hundreds of years. The Targs should have gripped this unique opportunity (ie everyone is scared and awed by them) to shake the system with both hands and claim the richest and strongest part of the realm for them. In time fear will be replaced by loyalty and the Lannister’s bannermen would become the Targeryan ones. If crap ever hits fans, the Targs wouldn’t only rely on oaths and dragons but also on a solid standing army whose loyalty is bound to them and not to somebody else

I don't think it was a superiority thing, rather Aegon had no wish or need for another wife. He was deeply in love with Rhaenys and relied heavily on Visenya. By marrying Argella,he could have earned the hatred and possible rebellions of his sisters. Furthermore, any descendants would be claimants to the throne, as well as him showing bias to the Stormlands. He didn't exactly lose out anyway, as Orys led the men of the Stormlands for Aegon anyway.

That would have needed careful handling, however Aegon really needed a standing army at the time. His army was around 1600 men strong. Sure dragons were frightening and Westeros had never encountered them before. However it’s not ideal relying on just 1 weapon. Surely Visenya (the true brains behind ‘Aegon’s’ invasion) could be persuaded in seeing sense in all this, especially if Argella was kept outside KL (erm CR) and her children were considered third in line after Aegon’s daughters ones

Dragonstone is not a useless rock thrown in the middle of the sea. It is a formidable castle in a very important strategic location with it's own vassals and a population that has been unquestionably loyal to House Targaryen. All this and its proximity to KL make it the perfect place for an heir to learn how to rule. Lastly, Aegon straight up loved Dragonstone. It's where he went to think and get away from KL (and Visenya).

As said, I applaud Aegon’s decision to give his heir some responsibility. However that experience won’t be gained by ruling an island which produces next to nothing, it’s a stepping stone away from Essos (ie potential enemy land)  and barely have any population left on it. 

But in allowing Loren Lannister to retain his seat and not creating a second Harrenhal, he showed he was not a cruel ruler and gained a very solid support base. Similar to how Lord Harwood Fell praises Robert Baratheon even though he killed his grandfather during the rebellion. Through his charisma and leniency, Robert gained utter loyalty. I'd imagine this is how Lords Lannister and Tyrell felt.

In allowing Loren to live and by giving him a smaller Lordship instead of exiling him, Aegon was striking a balance between justice and generosity. It’s ridiculous that ultimately, every Lord Paramount was  given the same treatment irrespective in whether they bent the knee willingly or their kneecap had to be crushed first. Such attitude gives the message that Kings can do whatever they want because ultimately the land is theirs to keep irrespective whether they win or lose. All they had to do is to make sure that someone within their line survives the tale. 

I really don't think dragons became less effective over time. House Targaryen was much more powerful at the onset of the Dance of Dragons than ever before. Well Aerys did have the support of the Reach and lost anyway due to his and Rhaegar's foolishness, as well as Mace Tyrells inadequacy. If Aegon could burn Harrenhal, the greatest castle ever built in Westeros, on one dragon. There is no reason to suggest that three dragons with Daemon the fucking Rogue Prince (huge fan) leading them couldn't take Casterly Rock. Yes its a mountain and yes its never been taken before, but that only applies to armies made up solely of men. They said Harrenhal would never be taken or the Eyrie. Yet Harrenhal burned, and Visenya flew right to the top of the Eyrie. The only way I could see the inhabitants of the Rock surviving would be go to underground and negotiate, but that didn't save the Reynes of Castamere and Tywin had no dragons.  

The Dance of dragons left the Targs wounded and with far less dragons. During that conflict, Westerosi Lords noticed that Targs were vulnerable to the same pettiness as other common human beings + that dragons weren’t as difficult to kill as they first thought. It also showed that with all their glory, the Targs needed their help when settling scores. Also for the very first time since Aegon’s conquest, a non Targeryan, ruled Westeros (Cregan Stark) even though for a short period of time.
Its safe to say that no one knows if a change of location (ie CR instead of KL) would have made a difference in terms of preventing the war. However, Rhaenyra Targaryen’s job would have been cut severely considering that her superiority in terms of dragons couldn’t pierce past CR. Aegon would have also relied on the Westerlands incredible wealth which would allowed him more leverage (including financing a faceless man if needed)

Archived