U.S. Elections: The Narcissist and the Nineteenth Amendment

Ormond

9 minutes ago, Shryke said:

If I'm wrong, point out how. Show me data or analysis that says otherwise.

Cause so far you haven't and that means it's not "we disagree". That's "teach the controversy" bullshit. It's you pretending like not having a counter-argument denotes a stalemate and "who knows what's correct?".

ie - it's bullshit

I didn't say you were wrong, I said there are still people in the universe who aren't going to agree with just because you say so. I'll add to that, there are still going to be people that disagree with you no matter how much you mistakenly or correctly claim that all the data proves that you are right.

I've seen people interpret the same data in many different ways, so there's still going to be yabbering no matter how much you think you can't possibly be wrong.

Only opinion I've given on the cracked article is that it's at least a better attempt at understanding Trump support than the usual "it's because they are racist".  Of course my opinion could be wrong just as much as anyone else can be wrong about anything.

18 minutes ago, Shryke said:

But Trump's support is not primarily rural working to middle class white people. Like, the problem with this whole framing of "economic troubles -> blame it on the Other -> support Trump" is that the data we have does not support it. Economic difficulty does not correlate with Trump support as you would expect were the proposed causal chain true.

I've not read more than a couple articles on this, both discussing the Gallup data, but the one in WaPo says:

Yet while Trump's supporters might be comparatively well off themselves, they come from places where their neighbors endure other forms of hardship. In their communities, white residents are dying younger, and it is harder for young people who grow up poor to get ahead.

Aren't we, then, overreading the data? It looks like they are rural working to middle class people who aren't worse off than non-Trump supporters, but who live in areas around a lot of economic hardship, no?

I'll poke around at the Gallup data a little more. The headlines, it seems, were a little misleading.

Just now, DunderMifflin said:

Only opinion I've given on the cracked article is that it's at least a better attempt at understanding Trump support than the usual "it's because they are racist".  Of course my opinion could be wrong just as much as anyone else can be wrong about anything.

Well the data does point pretty strongly that white nationalism is the key driver here.

And there is plenty of anecdotal evidence here too. Like, the birther issue, and the "food stamp" president.

The author of that article is entitled to his opinions. But you know it seems to me he ought to have been a little better versed in the nature of our economic policy disputes before running around claiming that liberals are indifferent to the plight of small town Americans.

Archived