The Free Cities and the Wars to Come

rotting sea cow

14 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think we might have seen the answer in the show...

Second of Three Fires

I suspect Daenerys might rely on shock and awe rather than ideology. 

The House of the Undying has the dosh khaleen submit to Daenerys. And the whole Doshi part of the Dothraki history suggests that the dosh khaleen actually the religious/cultural leaders of the Dothraki. 

Burning stuff down isn't going to do the trick, and a few hundred Dothraki with dragonbone bows should still rip Drogon to pieces. There has to be a pretty good explanation as to why that doesn't happen.

Although the idea of the Second Fire playing a crucial role in whatever ritual/magic/ceremony is going to take place there certainly makes sense.

2 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

Honestly, why does Dany even have to deal with all of Essos before heading west? I understand what @Lord Varys is saying about Dany and Tyrion, but if her goal is to take the 7 kingdoms it doesn't make any sense to sweep the whole continent. The ones along the southern coast, sure, they're on the way and she'll need money.

1) Because she can do it. After Vaes Dothrak she will have the largest army in the world.

2) Because geographically she needs to do it. If she wants to head West, she needs to pass through some of these cities. In particular Volantis is unavoidable. Armies need food and water and plunder. Ships needs to be resupplied and repaired. And she needs to finish the slave market once for all, otherwise she will leave behind a multitude of Astapors.

3) Because there are hanging plots that need to be resolved. Particularly Volantis and Pentos. If you go from Volantis to Pentos other cities are in between. Lys is mentioned so often in the book that it would be rare it doesn't play a bigger role. Not to mention the 'Mount to Dread'

4) Because after the Dosh Khaleen proclaim her as the Stallion who mounts the world she needs to give the Dothraki something to prove her worth, specially if she attempts to change aspects of their culture and lead them across the 'curse water'. This has been mentioned as one of the reasons she needs to conquer Qarth. But Qohor works also in this direction. The Three Thousand of Qohor  is a thorn in the Dothraki pride, and this city lies at the edge of their core area. Now with the red priests stirring the pot there and her being the 'breaking of chain' and the mother for her own Unsullied, it is possible that it posed to fall

But why worry about Norvos and Qohor and those type? Every campaign is men, materiel and time spent. Even if she had the men to send an army at all places simultaneously, it would take months, even years to march to the edges of the continent, conduct their wars, and reconcentrate on the Narrow sea. Plus I'm sure Tyrion could tell her about the Targaryan dragons that were killed in battles and sieges. Her's aren't even fully grown.

I think in most cases it would be an easy conquest, like the swift campaign in Slaver Bay. This is more or less what I've saying in this thread. If Braavos and other cities enter in conflict, they may bleed each other before Dany comes and therefore unable to put effective resistance. Volantis is already weakened by sending a big army to Slaver Bay and having a revolution looming inside. It might be that all Dany needs to do there is breaking in the Black Walls. Similar things may happen in other cities.

I bet it was always expected that the dragons will be larger.

The clocks ticking in the North. 

Indeed, but the Wall needs first to fall and the Others show in force. There is still too much going on in the North giving Dany time to complete her arc in Essos.

Archived