Halt and Catch Fire- opinions?

Calibandar

I managed to finish the whole thing. It really was a fantastic show. The last season felt like it was just a gentle glide towards the ending however, rather than having the sort of energy or pull that the other seasons did. I still enjoyed it but possibly I don't think they really managed to capture the excitement of the possibilities of the internet in the same way. ( Watching them create a hand picked directory of sites made me want to scream at them to stop!) 

Also much of the character conflict and dynamic had been sort of resolved or come to a head in previous seasons, and there didn't really seem to be much road left for their stories. Thats why I think I felt more involved in Hayleys story or even Boz's than anyone else's. Joe and Camerons relationship sort of fizzled and died, and while that totally makes sense, that didn't make for a very compelling watch. 

Donna's story was potentially really interesting but I've never liked her as a character, and while there were points this season when I started to warm to her, she was still bottom of the pile of favourites. I guess thats why when so much is made of her relationship with Cameron I don't tend to feel very much. People have said these two are the heart of the show and in some ways they are, certainly from season 2. But I always wanted to see more of Gordon and Joe as well. Joe had his arc, Cameron had hers, and so did Donna. I felt like Gordon was mostly forgotten about after season 2, which saddens me, no matter how it ended for him. 

Anyway, I loved this show for spells, and it went out on a high, and I felt satisfied by the end, which is a difficult task for most tv shows. I didn't love the last couple of episodes, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Archived