(Spoilers) Sandoq is Robert Strong

I think this is a solid parallel.

Sandoq is called the Shadow. This echos Robert's former nickname, the Mountain. 

Sandoq's appearance: 

Black of skin and black of hair, he stood almost seven feet tall. His face, which he oft kept hidden behind a black silk veil, was a mass of thin white scars, and his lips and tongue had been removed, leaving him both mute and hideous to look upon. 

You will recall that Robert does not speak or show his face either. He is also tall. We do not know what it looks like at this point, but I doubt he is an attractive beast.

I find it interesting that George decided to have Sandoq show a fondness for music, apparently talented enough with a 'queer stringed instrument of goldenheart and ebony" to make Larra weep. Any ideas why George would include this? Is he just humanizing Sandoq?

Sandoq's also referred to as a "beast". However, I do not so much get a Gregor vibe from him, but Sandor. Notice that Sandoq is Sandor with a q. Sandor currently lives on the Quiet Isle, is referred to as a beast, doesn't speak, and of the 7 he favors the Stranger (aka shadow). Sandoq is not one of the white cloaks in the battle on the bridge, but he kills the LC.

And I didn't like the many matches between Sandoq and Sandor. I don't get hyped over cleganebowl, but instead groan over it. But fair is fair: that's what this fight on the bridge before the holdfast was a shout-out to me.

Archived