Power to the people and real world politics.

The riot in King's Landing killed a prominent power and assaulted the king's family.  Religious mob propelled the H.S. to power and humiliated a queen.  People have enormous power when they work together.  The most powerless of people, the slaves in Volantis, are looking to revolt against their owners and they might succeed.  Are we going to see a revolt in Volantis and the other slaving cities?  

I want us to get our heads away from fantasy for a moment and let us take a look at a similar situation in the real world.  The yellow vest movement in France.  Who knew this movement will have such staying power as to pressure change successfully?  I did not see it going this far.  Yet it has.  I am now worried that something similar might happen to my country.  I see a lot of the working poor every day.  People who work and yet are still living on the edge.  Sure they are better off than the homeless of whom there are many in my city.  But the feeling of hopelessness is there even in the middle class, of which I belong.  The disparity in income and means is indeed wide between the wealthy and everyone else.  I believe my country will elect to replace the president in the next election.  One potential candidate who got my attention is entrepreneur Andrew Yang.  He is proposing a Universal Basic Income.  I haven't looked at the math but the proposal is interesting.  One thousand dollars each month for those between the ages of 18-64.  Which will help to give people a chance to live with dignity.

This is too advanced for a planet about to go into deep freeze, but let us get back to the real world.  Ours.  Do you believe a universal basic income can work successfully in the United States?  

I honestly cannot read a description of Aegon IV without thinking about Trump. I also feel like we're going to be seeing some scholarly essays about how Cersei, Littlefinger, Frank Underwood and the movement of depicting bad people as "good" leaders effected our understanding of what a good politician/president looks like. 

Archived