Season 8 "Histories & Lore" animated featurettes speculation

The Dragon Demands

I wonder what the heck they're going to do for Season 8's "Histories & Lore" animated featurettes....or if they'll even do them at all this season.  As the TV show got wildly divergent, I've noticed that the animated featurettes were often the one thing book fans looked forward to - a chance to see some visual representation of background stuff from World of Ice and Fire, etc.  (Also, Benioff and Weiss don't write them - since Season 2 / 2012, they were all by Dave Hill, who researches it well).

Every year I try to speculate on what they'll make, or should make.

They've already covered a lot of stuff, and Season 8 itself....barely covered any worldbuilding info.  

In past seasons you could kind of guess, like "oh, they're setting up the Golden Company and showed the Dragonpit, we'll see animated motion comics on this this year".  

Now, I have no idea.

What were things you think they SHOULD or WILL make for Season 8's batch?  Only ones I can think of are:

• Naath, the Summer Isles, and Sothoryos ("Lands of the Summer Sea") - actually going over World of Ice and Fire info on these regions (they never did in past seasons)
  • House Mormont (short, but fun/relevant)
  • ….Jenny of Oldstones? (the song was nice but had nothing to do with the scene)

Problem is that they have ALREADY covered everything about the White Walkers in prior TV seasons! What more is there to add?  And that applies to nearly everything.

The other option was "make animated featurettes setting up potential prequels"....but they kind of already did that too.   Based on GRRM's comments I'm reasonably sure two of the ideas in contention were Targaryen Conquest and Dance of the Dragons - BOTH of which they already made super-sized special animated videos for (20 minutes on the Dance in Season 5, and then 40 minutes on the Conquest for Season 7).  AND they've covered the Long Night already!  Since Season 1! 

So I wonder if we'll even get animated videos this year....it felt like they just plain weren't trying.  Ironic given how much work went into physically filming each episode, the writing just felt like they were rushing through....only to then spend months filming it all?

Some have suggested to me that they might just make longer animated videos on various different prequel eras, sort of covered elsewhere but just more extensive.  "First Blackfyre Rebellion"?  WEll…..they sort of already did that, mixed among other ones.

Another possibility suggested to me is that they won't connect it to TV show at all, but just straightup make, say, a 60 minute special on the Jaehaerys and Alysanne material from Fire & Blood - sort of linking the Conquest and Dance animated videos, so you sort of put all three together and get a two hour "movie" of "Fire & Blood".  That might be fun.  

Archived