Heresy 225 and the Snowflakes of Doom

Black Crow

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

I got the very clear impression when reading that passage that Aemon was warning Jon that she was talking mince and that what the Jade Companion revealed was a very different version of the story - just as Saladhor San warned Davos

Actually, I don't recall Saan mentioning the PtwP at all. 

He spoke only of AA, who forged a sword.

And if Aemon's goal was to tell Jon Mel was talking mince, all he had to do was say so -- just like he did to Sam.  Homework assignments weren't necessary for that.

I never suggested that the Prince came into the conversation. Mel was talking about Stannis and the sword and proclaiming him as Azor Ahai returned. Aemon was recommending Jon to read up on Azor Ahai, not the Prince, presumably because Mel was telling a different story from that set out in the Companion

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Aemon was recommending Jon to read up on Azor Ahai, not the Prince, presumably because Mel was telling a different story from that set out in the Companion

Yet:

14 hours ago, JNR said:

if Aemon's goal was to tell Jon Mel was talking mince, all he had to do was say so -- just like he did to Sam.  Homework assignments weren't necessary for that.

The context is also important.  Aemon is not likely ever to see Jon again, so this is his last chance to be clear, right to Jon's face, that Mel is not to be trusted.  But as he leaves Castle Black, he doesn't even bring her up at all.

Instead, after assigning Jon homework, he says this:

"Knowledge is a weapon, Jon. Arm yourself well before you ride forth to battle."

So whatever Aemon had in mind, in asking Jon to read about AA, it evidently concerned what Jon would wield in riding forth to battle -- not what Stannis would.

Archived