Targaryen-Baratheons - How fiery is the blood of the stag?

Lord Varys

On 7/24/2019 at 1:56 AM, Lord Varys said:

The first hint that the Baratheons and Targaryens are interrelated goes back to the 'House Baratheon appendix' of AGoT:

Is the appendix we see today the same as the one in the original edition published way back when, or has it been inserted/amended somewhere along the line since?

6 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Christs.  Talk about minutiae.  My dear Lord Varys.  Only you could want to dissect this matter to such a degree.  I hope you would not begrudge a fellow for going off the path of your trail, Lord Varys San.  

Thanks for the flowers.

6 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Fire And Blood taught us a lot.  Dragons are kind of mild even if they vary in personality.  They’re calm and predictable for beings of such power.  A Stag is a testosterone fueled creature and is therefore more agitated.  See how Robert was horny and unsuited for the quiet life.  Stags act on instinct.  You might have trouble domesticating a stag.  That’s why geldings are made when it comes to horses.  Dragons hunt but do not seem to have a lot of anxiety.  To get to the point, a Stag will have a more volatile personality.  It’s not a good mix.

Lady Olenna seems to believe the quarrelsome qualities of the Baratheons go back to their Targaryen blood:

Her grandmother snorted. “Gallant, yes, and charming, and very clean. He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king. The Baratheons have always had some queer notions, to be sure. It comes from their Targaryen blood, I should think.” She sniffed. “They tried to marry me to a Targaryen once, but I soon put an end to that.”

No idea whether she is right there or not.

In any case, though, the issue between Robert and his brothers are certainly mirrored by the behavior of Lord Rogar and his brothers - Rogar himself very much resembles Robert, down to the weirdo inability to yield and his suppressed desire to actually rule (which in variation exists also in Borros Baratheon and the Laughing Storm), Borys Baratheon is reminiscent of Stannis in his expectation to inherit/get Storm's End and the fact that this doesn't work turns into a festering wound, etc. Even the Four Storms, especially Cassandra and Maris, show the rather destructive tendencies we also see in the men of the bloodline.

Even Robert's bastards fit in those categories - Edric Storm likes to brag a lot, Mya Stone is pretty much as stubborn as Stannis as does Gendry up to a point.

1 hour ago, Lord Browndodd said:

Is the appendix we see today the same as the one in the original edition published way back when, or has it been inserted/amended somewhere along the line since?

There were made no changes to the AGoT appendix, but the ADwD appendix - which has a 'House Baratheon' section again, unlike the appendices of ACoK to AFfC - adds the part about Robert's grandmother being a daughter of Aegon V and his claim to the Iron Throne being derived from her.

Archived