Theory: Victarion's lost ships are actually heading back to Westeros to attack from the east.

Egged

Fifty-four, Victarion thought sourly when they woke him, and she sails alone. Silently he cursed the Storm God for his malice, his rage a black stone in his belly. Where are my ships?

He had set sail from the Shields with ninety-three, of the hundred that had once made up the Iron Fleet, a fleet belonging not to a single lord but to the Seastone Chair itself, captained and crewed by men from all the islands.

The Crow's Eye fears you, my lord, why else send you so far away? He does not mean for us to return.

I believe that Victarion's ships were not lost to a storm. They turned back. They never were to follow Victarion to Slaver's Bay. Euron's gifts are poisoned, and this was another one of them.

Do I really need to show how Euron is the "Storm God" so to speak?

Euron shrugged. "I had heard the Storm God swept Balon to his death. Who is this man who slew him? Tell me his name, niece, so I might revenge myself on him."

Asha got to her feet. "You know his name as well as I. Three years you were gone from us, and yet Silence returns within a day of my lord father's death."

[...]

"Victarion! VICTARION! VICTARION!" Men began to shove at one another. Someone flung a pinecone at Asha's head. When she ducked, her makeshift crown fell off. For a moment it seemed to the priest as if he stood atop a giant anthill, with a thousand ants in a boil at his feet. Shouts of "Asha!" and "Victarion!" surged back and forth, and it seemed as though some savage storm was about to engulf them all. The Storm God is amongst us, the priest thought, sowing fury and discord.

Sharp as a swordthrust, the sound of a horn split the air.

[...]

Aeron tugged his beard, and thought. I have seen the storm, and its name is Euron Crow's Eye.

[...]

"EURON! EURON! EURON!" The cry swelled, became a roar. "EURON! EURON! CROW'S EYE! EURON KING!" It rolled up Nagga's hill, like the Storm God rattling the clouds. "EURON! EURON! EURON! EURON! EURON! EURON!"

[...]

A smile played across Euron's blue lips. "I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."

And what would happen if Euron's ships attacked the eastern coast?

According to legend, Durran won the love of Elenei, the daughter of the sea god and the goddess of the wind, during the Age of Heroes. Her divine parents forbade their love, but Durran and Elenei wed despite them. The gods' wrath was terrible to behold, destroying Durran's keep on his wedding night and killing all his family and guests, but Durran survived under Elenei's protection. Enraged, Durran declared war on the gods, who replied by hammering his kingdom with massive storms. Each time Durran built a castle to face the sea the gods destroyed it.

King Durran persisted in building larger and more powerful fortifications, until finally the seventh castle, Storm's End, stayed in place and resisted the storms of Shipbreaker Bay.

Maybe a very dead Aegon, dead from saving Arianne's life? He was raised by a stern man and a septa, heroically attempting to save a damsel in distress wouldn't be very surprising. He might not be very different from Quentyn after all. "Oh!"

And remember, Marwyn said the maesters sent someone to kill Dany's dragons, and that he was going to help her.

And something is cooking at Hightower. Hightower, the smoking tower which stands on salt water...

And beyond, where the Honeywine widened into Whispering Sound, rose the Hightower, its beacon fires bright against the dawn. From where it stood atop the bluffs of Battle Island, its shadow cut the city like a sword.

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

Victarion shuddered. "Show me this dragon's egg."
"I threw it in the sea during one of my dark moods." Euron gave a shrug. "It comes to me that the Reader was not wrong. Too large a fleet could never hold together over such a distance. The voyage is too long, too perilous. Only our finest ships and crews could hope to sail to Slaver's Bay and back. The Iron Fleet."

"Crows are all liars," Old Nan agreed, from the chair where she sat doing her needlework. "I know a story about a crow."
"I don't want any more stories," Bran snapped, his voice petulant.

So Euron sent Victarion into a suicide mission (potentially foiled by Moqorro who is teaching Victarion about the poisoned horn gift). He plans to hatch a beast of some sort of his own, which he will do at Hightower, and will destroy Storm's End and probably Aegon on the east coast at the same time. He never planned to marry Daenerys, he wants her and her dragons dead along with his brother. He doesn't want anyone to be a threat to his own power.

Daenerys' two dragons are currently out of her control, and have been for a while before they were freed to the point that she had them chained. Victarion has a horn that could allow him to retake control of them, and he has been obsessing about the idea as her burns people alive. Cue a little dance of dragons as Daenerys seeks to reclaim them, as either she believes Victarion is to blame for their behavior, or Victarion "saves" her dragons by forcefully taking control of them with Dragonbinder under Moqorro's guidance.

In any case, things are seemingly lining up for a dead Aegon, and Cersei and Euron teaming up before Daenerys arrives. Euron did want an "heir worthy of the Iron Throne". Queen Cersei can provide one.

10 minutes ago, Mithras said:

Or they are simply dead because travelling half the world is a perilous journey, which GRRM was not aware of at the beginning and only late in the writing came to realize.

Euron knows better than that.

11 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

The fleet with Victarion will not survive Slaver's Bay.  Vic is sailing to his own death without knowing it,  The lost ships will find their way back to Asha.  Asha and Euron will battle for the right to sit on the Seastone Chair.  

I think they are coming to make a surprise attack on the Golden Company's fleet at Storm's End, during which Aegon will die, and the Golden Company will end up stuck in Westeros, moving on to support Cersei against the coming Targaryen queen. Under the gold, the Bittersteel. They have no choice but to support her.

Archived