Dalla and Val, the Northman's daughters

Evolett

On 4/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, three-eyed monkey said:

Mance told Jon he met Dalla on his return from Winterfell and that she is blameless when it comes to him deserting the Watch. He also told Jon the story about the Shadowcat, implying that the unnamed woman who nursed him was part of the reason he left the Watch for a place where a kiss was not a crime. These two stories don't tally if Dalla is that woman, as you claim.

I think Mance saying Dalla is "blameless" is basically a tell that he is lying...

Note, that it is exactly what Ned, honest Ned, says when lying about Cat:

"I take it you know what Catelyn has done?"
"I do." Ned took a small swallow of wine. "My lady wife is blameless, Your Grace. All she did she did at my command."
"I am not pleased, Ned," Robert grumbled.

And the only other time "Blameless" gets used? When Tyrion is talking to his uncle about Joff's death, and you'll note Tyrion's Lady (Sansa) was far from blameless.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, three-eyed monkey said:

The second trip makes far more sense to me. It also makes more sense to me that Val, not Dalla, was the woman who nursed Mance and mended his cloak.

I don't understand where the idea that Val patched up Mance comes from.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, three-eyed monkey said:

The thing about a Weirwood brooch is that it can represent the free folk but also the North. As such it is a symbol that unifies both cultures.

I think it's associated with the First Men who made the pact, they are the old gods after all, but you don't see Northmen using Weirwoods as their symbols, only the Blackwoods who were chased out of the North.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, three-eyed monkey said:

My instinct about this gift from Dalla to Val, although I can't prove it, is that it was given when Mance first introduced the two girls.

I don't follow, you are suggesting they are not sisters at all? Mance introduced them? what?

Archived