Etymology and language findings

Sandy Clegg

Posted (edited)

I recently learned that there are two brothers in a cadet branch of the Habsburgs called Sandor and Gregor. I can't for the life of me work out what the significance could be, but surely it's not a coincidence.

Edited by Alester Florent

38 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I recently learned that there are two brothers in a cadet branch of the Habsburgs called Sandor and Gregor. I can't for the life of me work out what the significance could be, but surely it's not a coincidence.

The only thing I can think of is the Habsburg Jaw, a product of inbreeding:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/distinctive-habsburg-jaw-was-likely-result-royal-familys-inbreeding-180973688/

I know it's technically not canon to the novels, but I'd love to know the etymology of the name for the Others' spoken language, which was developed for the show, but never used.  I have to imagine GRRM had some role in naming the language.

Anyone got any insight into that word?  The only thing I've been able to find is "skrot" which is swedish for trash.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

That's hilarious!

Although I still believe it's a coincidence. After all, those names are not such strange names in Austria. And George already confirmed that an even more striking coincidence (the teenage marriage between Joffrey Borgia and Sancia/Sança of Aragon) had been unintended.

Edited by The hairy bear