General recent fantasy recommendations

Lady Winter Rose

First at general recommendation; I created i thread here for a series called “Bound and the Brioken” you may check it out as a fantasy recommendation. 

Secondly, this is both a general question to forum users but also another fantasy recommendations; have you checked out Moontide Quartet (original 4 book series) and Sunsurge Quartet (4 book sequel series) by David Hair? 

I read them some time ago, haven’t found a mention of them in this forum. 

High level pros and cons: it is relatively  standard fantasy, with magic system, magical creatures, swordfighting and a few battles. POVs are a mix, majority is relatively young POVs (but not all). There is good and there is bad characters that are relatively black/white, but there is no “major evil god” even though there are definitely villains, most of the plot evolves around humanity, with a very decent amount of political plotting.

I found both series (but first one best) quite enjoyable and definitely highly entertaining with cool characters, plots and lots of action, there is not much slog in the books and stuff happens all the time.

Decent world-building (even though it is highly inspired by the real world), it has quite some new and intriguing elements to it that I think works OK. 

My biggest criticism is that (for me personally) he takes the endings a bit too far and things just spin a bit out of control and become “too much” (I’d rather he kept it at a normal escalation curve that just blowing it of the roof for the ultimate showdowns), and that even if there is some new elements to the series, it’s not really very unique, and that plots may be somewhat repetitive and especially the second series has signs of a retcon just for the sake of writing a second series and not planned from the start. 

I would not recommend it as a literary work of the ages, but if you are look for a new fantasy series, it is definitely a “easy read” and very entertaining as long as you are not “too picky”. 

(Even if there is some criticism above, I just try to balance it a bit, I definitely found both series very entertaining and really enjoyed them, so I am definitelty recommending them, I burned through both series rather quickly ! :) if anyone else have read them, would like to hear what you think about them