Clarifying Euron's Relationship to Qarth

Hippocras

22 hours ago, Maegor_the_Cool said:

Well if Euron is glammoring as Daario he is clearly capable of being many places at once ;).

No.  He merely has to use blood magic to ride the red storm.  A mere 2 weeks from Slaver's Bay to the Iron Islands, at a steady 12 knots.  And Daario goes missing from Dany for MONTHS at a time, and does so more than once.  And Euron arrives at the Iron Islands already knowing that Dany is in Slaver's Bay.  And he already has in the hold of his ship the Warlocks who went chasing her after she left Qarth.

I would add here that I am still looking to understand a bit more about the various factions of Qarth and how they figure in all of this.

We know that XXD showed up as a representative of the Thirteen to plead with Dany in Meereen. He left a declaration of war from Qarth when she refused his offer. What form then will Qarth's war take? Are Qarth's factions united in this declaration of war?

The Tourmaline Brotherhood gave her the crown she now wears, but the Thirteen were upset she wore that one and wanted to give her a different one. Why? Are we meant to read something symbolic in her wearing of the pirates' crown as opposed to the merchants' crown?

Qaith. So many questions. Since she is the one appearing in Dany's visions, should we presume that the glass candle she seems to be using is the same one that was/is at Urrathon's house?

On 12/20/2023 at 4:29 AM, SaffronLady said:

We should also note that not only is Urrathon an Ironborn name, but the precedent of Urrathon Goodbrother was cited to Asha as an example of an invalid Kingsmoot because a son of the predecessor king wasn't present - just as in the case of Euron and (in theory) potentially giving her grounds to overturn Euron's election since Theon wasn't there. The parallel between the historical Urrathon and Euron is explicitly drawn.

I think as readers we are definitely supposed to believe, if paying attention, that Urrathon Nightwalker is Euron or someone very closely connected to him. That doesn't mean it's necessarily true (GRRM has tricked us in the past) but it makes it much more likely than not, I think.

(Unfortunately, it's misspelled in the novel as "Urragon", but corrected in the World book).