Daeron the Good was truly a good man?

Dragonbane

This topic will be probably bringer of unpopular opinions. Daeron II is by far most fan favorite Targaryen kings, along Aegon the Conqueror, Jaehaerys the Conciliator (although Jaehaerys  I is pretty controversial for his familiar life) and Aegon V. Jaehaerys I was no doubt a good king, the best for many, including myself, but his familiar life was tragic and troublesome. I think Daeron II was pretty the same. Daeron was born in 153 AC, and married Myriah Martell in probably 168 or 169 AC. A political union, yes, but happy and fit. Daeron and Myriah had four children, all sons (the only king with only male children, along Aegon the Conqueror) Baelor; Aerys I; Rhaegel; Maekar I. How was Daeron II relationship with his sons? I guess that Baelor was his favorite, by far. A good, wise, just and brave man, respected and estimated by all Westeros, and, no doubt, a excellent Hand of the King. His death circumstances is well known. But the others? Aerys was a reclusive, likely sociophobic, and bookish boy. It's very hard that Daeron, although himself was a bookish man, estimated him. For Rhaegel was the same. Sick, timid, and mad. For Daeron II Aerys and Rhaegel was most likely sources of shame, and hidden at the public gaze.  Surely these two was growth by Myriah. Finally, Maekar. It's one of my favorite Targs, but his relationship with his father was, I guess, well, a complicated matter. Maekar was the right arm of Baelor, but he was an harsh man. Some fans called him blond Stannis, not without reasons. Yes, it's based on nothing, but I think Daeron didn't tolerated Maekar. Hate is a bad word. It's reasonable think Daeron want punish Maekar for Baelor's death. the execution is impossibile, for the Daeron indole and kinslayer taboo, but forced Maekar to take the black is a likely option. Fortunately for Maekar, the Great Spring Sickness make the question purely academic. Also, the forced enter of Aemon in the Citadel was surely another factor that make the relationship between the king and his youngest son hard and troublesome. And you? What do you think of this? Thank you for the attention.

On 12/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dragonbane said:

his familiar life was tragic and troublesome

I think you mean "familial".

On 12/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dragonbane said:

Also, the forced enter of Aemon in the Citadel was surely another factor that make the relationship between the king and his youngest son hard and troublesome.

Likely. Daeron not wanting too many males to rock the succession boat would likely have strained his relations with his youngest son - they can't have been as good as Baelor and Daeron to begin with.

But in spite of that, by Targaryen standards, Daeron should still be held as a good man. He does have Aegon the Unworthy as a father after all, and look how he shines in comparison.