Random Musings on Targaryen Descent

1 hour ago, SaffronLady said:

It is my personal belief sometimes you go too deep down rabbit holes of disappearing Targaryen bloodlines. It would help if you approach the issue bottom-top more often.

Say there is a descendant of Rhaena HT who married into House Crane. What role does House Crane play in the story of 300AC? Negligible. Thus tracking this line down proves ultimately unrewarding.

Well yes, I agree entirely. Unless a daughter of house Crane was then the mother of Ellyn Reyne or Marbrand ancestor of Tywin.. Starts to be more relevant.

I started everything bottom to top years ago. It depends too much on GRRM telling us things he clearly does not want to yet.

Edited by Hippocras

13 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Well yes, I agree entirely. Unless a daughter of house Crane was then the mother of Ellyn Reyne or Marbrand ancestor of Tywin.. Starts to be more relevant.

I started everything bottom to top years ago. It depends too much on GRRM telling us things he clearly does not want to yet.

And he's hiding things both in the past and in the present. The past, one could say, even more than the present.

For example, the Alchemists seem to be a pyromancer tradition independent of Essos. GRRM isn't giving any details on why it showed up on Westeros.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:19 PM, SaffronLady said:

And he's hiding things both in the past and in the present. The past, one could say, even more than the present.

For example, the Alchemists seem to be a pyromancer tradition independent of Essos. GRRM isn't giving any details on why it showed up on Westeros.

Yes. So at this point it is guesswork but the histories do inform the guessing.

I do think that by the end of the series we will have learned that the Starks descend, via Melantha Blackwood, from Baela and Alyn on their father's side and from one or more of the other Targ branches we have discussed on their mother's side. Brienne will be shown to be a Targ descendant, as will Edric Dayne and Allyria. 

I remain uncommitted on theories about Arys + Joanna =

i wanted to add; The key thing IMO is that most or none of these lines of descent are from a direct Targaryen marriage into that House. The female line takes a more circuitous route under different names.

Edited by Hippocras