Spinoff from Best Death: who is your favorite dead character?

MTGAP

Obviously leaving Ned alive would have changed the books tremendously, but I think that the fact that GRRM killed off the main character of the first book in his series is why he is so popular. GRRM definately went ballsdeep with that call... he is a genious!!!

-And Ned Stark was the man!!! :hat:

ok first off martin is a genious...

but ned was not the main character of AGOT there was no main character there is no main character just points of view.

Ned and Robb, Lady and Greywind, the Old Bear (I was really fond of him), Jory Cassel, Ser Rodrick (*cry*), Khal Drogo, soon-to-be-dead Tommen, Greatjon Umber, Donal Noye and Yoren, and poor Pate the pigboy. It was sweet how he loved his Rosey. Nobody seems to love so chastely and sincerely in Westeros.

I was full of shock and glee when Joffrey and Tywin died.

Edit: And Maester Luwin. I was really sad when he died. It was the second time I teared up while reading ASOIAF. (First was when I thought Bran and Rickon had been skinned and beheaded.)

I feel as though Aemon had something important yet to say or do, so I feel a pang of incompleteness in his life/death. He is a great character and I miss him lots... :cry:

I put Ned Stark second... He was the character whose death made me realize I was not reading an ordinary fantasy novel.

Tywin was a shocker too, because he was the brains of the "bad guys".

Definitely agree with Ned. One question, though. Why did no one respect him as a total badass if they thought he single-handedly slew Arthur Dayne? I mean, no one ever mentioned him among the best swordfighters of the kingdom, and we know he wasn't one of them (Howland Reed and probably some other guys helped him). But if the word on the street was that Ned Stark had killed the greatest knight of a generation, I would expect people to show him more respect. Particularly w/ his added reputation as one of Westeros's best generals.

Ned was not a knight and he never rode in tournaments, both of which reduce the likelihood of folks hearing about his valor. He isn't a braggart, and generally didn't enjoy fighting - unlike Robert or Jaime. He was never really a figure head, in the same way Robert was.

Ned and his six companions (Ethan Glover, Howland Reed, Mark Ryswell, Martyn Cassel, Theo Wull [buckets!], Lord Dustin) faced three kingsguard and only two people really know what went down; most folks don't know, and Ned liked it that way. It's also clear that he really regretted killing Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent.

Anyway, I'd echo a lot of what most people said: Ned was a great character, so was Oberyn Martell, and many of the others who died.

DK

I always think it's sad when the badass characters die.

Khal Drogo

Yoren

Qhorin Halfhand (in AGOT, it said his name was Quorin, then it changed to Qhorin in ACOC. but he only had a brief mention in AGOT)

• 4 years later...

I'm almost afraid to say it, but mine is Catelyn....

:leaving:

Oh, I agree that her "death" was one of the shocking, especially because it was from her perspective, at least we have Stoneheart

of the others:

-Robb & Greywind

-Dacey Mormont

-Renly Baratheon

-The Red Viper

-Old Nan & Beth Cassel - I hope not, but what happened with them ?!

Oberyn Martell and Robb Stark, definitely. I was so excited when Oberyn was introduced just to have him dead few pages later. As for Robb, I just love my Stark men. And he was pretty much awesome, especially considering his age. (I liked Ned too, the good daddy he was!)

Also the cool men of the Night's Watch George likes to kill off so much: Qhorin Halfhand, Old Bear, Aemon and Yoren.

Archived