Top Three Overrated SF Authors

Larry.

I read Foundation and hated it, I thought the premise was quite interesting (I kinda want to read the sequels just to see how the plot unfolds) but his prose was just awful. I wrote better fiction for my A Level coursework. I think the problem with 'Golden Age' sci-fi is that people get more hung-up on remembering the great ideas rather than the crappy writing that carries them.

I didn't really enjoy a lot of The Stars My Destination by Bester either, but the last 50 pages well and truly blew me away.

I fail to understand how people can't like Mieville, I've loved everything I ever read by him. It was such a relief having put down J.V. Jones' The Baker Boy in boredom half-way through and picking up PSS. Sure it's a nothing more than a very long monster-hunt but his world-building is second-to-none; it was the first time I'd had that 'sensawonder' since reading The Hobbit as a child. His short stories are excellent too, The Tain may well be genius.

I place Asimov, Clarke, & Heinlein near the selfsame level. The former two were more prolific and universal, while the latter has some (like Stranger) I find indigestible, though he is redeemed by Podkayne of Mars, The Rolling Stones, and Starship Troopers - my paramount favorite SF novel.

As for the Tolkien criticism that sprouted up behind me, I won't waste my time. It's rather like the Council of Nicea complaining about lack of character development in the Gospel of John.

Archived