ASOIAF vs LOTR

Aryeztur

I find myself torn on this topic, since both series have remarkable strengths and some weaknesses.

Tolkien's achievement is monumental. He created an entire fantasy world, from languages, cultures, to an entire fictional history that spans (in detail) many thousands of years. He solidified the Fantasy genre as we know it today, and while I wouldn't go as far to say that ASOIF and others wouldn't exist without it, I think that it is indisputable that they would not exist as we know and love them. I also have a soft spot for Tolkien because he is also responsible for my love of reading in general. Before I read The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings I considered Animorphs to be the pinnacle of literature (I mean come on! The main character could change into a Tiger!). When my dad gave me these books in 6th grade, and told me to read a "real book" it changed my entire reading attitude. I read those books until they literally crumbled and I had to replace them.

Despite all of that, at the end of the day I would rather read Martin, Jordan, Sanderson, or Rothfuss than Tolkien. Maybe it is because of the differences in pacing, style, or characters but I just feel more drawn to those books at this point in my life. I think that the entire fantasy community owes a great deal to Tolkien, but I think that Martin will leave his own mark on the fantasy genre (I think that has already begun).

Archived