Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

My favourite is this gem by Old Nan:

“Oh, to be sure, there is much we do not understand. The years pass in their hundreds and their thousands, and what does any man see of life but a few summers, a few winters? We look at mountains and call them eternal, and so they seem... but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea. Even gods die, we think. Everything changes.”

My favourite is this gem by Old Nan:

“Oh, to be sure, there is much we do not understand. The years pass in their hundreds and their thousands, and what does any man see of life but a few summers, a few winters? We look at mountains and call them eternal, and so they seem... but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea. Even gods die, we think. Everything changes.”

It's actually by Maester Luwin, buts still awesome!

"Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Garion, and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you as well, or you wouldn't wear that cloak. But Tyrion is Tywin's son not you. I told your father so once to his face, and he didn't speak to me for half a year. Men can be such thundering great fools. Even those who come only once every thousand years."

THIS

yet no one else can see it, which makes me a bit sad :/

I like Septon Meribald's speech too. When he says one should fear the broken men, but also pity them. It's a lesson on compassion, on seeing people as people, and not only as pawns in a game, or things that are bothering or scaring you.

And anything Maester Aemon says. Seriously.

As someone who has experienced loss of a very close loved one and the resulting desire to somehow see/hear/touch them again, Bloodraven's advice to Bran rings all too true:

“He heard a whisper on the wind , a rustling amongst the leaves. You cannot speak to him, try as you might. I know. I have my own ghosts , Bran. A brother that I loved, a brother that I hated, a woman I desired . Through the trees, I see them still, but no word of mine has ever reached them. The past remains the past. We can learn from it, but we cannot change it.”

A long time ago, she remembered her father saying that when the cold wind blows the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. (Arya Stark)

"You never could lie for love nor honor, Ned Stark" (Robert Baratheon)

"The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have." (Eddard Stark, hopefully some foreshadowing)

Given Mr. Martin's past relationship with Disney, I'm going to assume he's seen The Lion King. Not sure about this, but isn't the "That is the only time a man can be brave" line pretty much the same thing Mufasa tells Simba? great movie

The line from the Lion King is "I'm only brave when I have to be."

A few.

"The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that" - The Old Bear

"Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them" - Tyrion

"There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man" - Varys

"Men have scars, women mysteries" - Cersei

"Someone told....Someone always tells" Hotah

Archived