Character´s names

Matarreyes

[quote name='Fireball07' post='1695831' date='Feb 22 2009, 15.50']For some reason I always pronounced Jaime's name as "jem". I think "Jamie" sounds really wrong.

How about Arya?

I pronounce it Are-yeah (as in the two words) but my friend pronounces it air-yeah.[/quote]

This is one that I got information about before I wrote my baby name book. It's supposed to be ARE-yuh, as in "Are yuh a fan of GRRM"? :)

[quote name='Archdaimon' post='1695510' date='Feb 22 2009, 05.18']I am from Denmark, and tradition here is to say a lot of Latin words with hard C...

Like in German Caesar became Kaisar...

(I seem to recall somewhere that hard C was the Roman way, and soft C was the ecclestial latin way... someone more knowledgeable should be able to correct me if I am wrong)

I always thought Cersei was to be pronounced Ker-sei, not ser-sei...

But ok, make sense, its an English book...[/quote]

Yup, Classical Latin uses the hard C and medieval/later Latin tends to soften the C, especially if it's used before a vowel. Ex. Incipit in Classical Latin= In-ki-pit , in Medieval Latin = In-chi-pit

For the record, I kinda like that Martin is loose with pronounciation. Although the HBO series may change this, I'm always stubbornly sure that what I hear in my head is correct! :P

[quote name='Ormond' post='1695946' date='Feb 22 2009, 23.57']This is one that I got information about before I wrote my baby name book. It's supposed to be ARE-yuh, as in "Are yuh a fan of GRRM"? :)[/quote]

Pretty much what I thought. Good, I like being right. Even if he did say you can pronounce them how you like.

[quote name='ThanatosAngel' post='1704360' date='Mar 1 2009, 20.07']So would Viserys be something like "viss-err-ris?"[/quote]

From looking at the other names with lys in them, I think it would be viss-err-ees. I'm not sure though. I've always pronounced it Viss-err-iss as well.

I really don't care how they are pronounced for everyone except Jaime. I just do not like the way some people pronounce it as Jay-mee. I don't know why. I've always called him Jayme.

Ah well.

[quote name='jondegi' post='1704436' date='Mar 2 2009, 06.34']From looking at the other names with lys in them, I think it would be viss-err-ees. I'm not sure though. I've always pronounced it Viss-err-iss as well.

I really don't care how they are pronounced for everyone except Jaime. I just do not like the way some people pronounce it as Jay-mee. I don't know why. I've always called him Jayme.

Ah well.[/quote]

I agree with you about the Jaime thing. You're not Irish, are you?

I say viss-err-iss too and dan-air-iss for Dany.

[quote name='Fireball07' post='1704983' date='Mar 2 2009, 10.55']I agree with you about the Jaime thing. You're not Irish, are you?

I say viss-err-iss too and dan-air-iss for Dany.[/quote]

No, I'm not Irish, Fireball...if only. :D

Jayme sounds more...knightly to me. I don't know, Jaymee doesn't seem to fit him.

I'm insane, I know. lol

[quote name='jondegi' post='1705085' date='Mar 2 2009, 20.35']No, I'm not Irish, Fireball...if only. :D

Jayme sounds more...knightly to me. I don't know, Jaymee doesn't seem to fit him.

I'm insane, I know. lol[/quote]

That's exactly how I feel. That's how most of the people around me say it too and Yerman said the same below.

Archived