BwB Newsletter

Stego

Hello Folks!

Another year of the Brotherhood Without Banners; another year of bawdy fellowship and raucous revelry await us. This is the first (in quite some time) of many newsletters aimed at keeping everyone informed on all things George, ASoIaF, BwB Cult, and SFF Fandom related. I hope you'll bother to read all of it. As incentive, I will try to use plenty of dirty words.

[b]A Dance With Dragons:[/b]

George is working on it. His intent is to have it finished this year. He may not. Rome was not built in a day.

[b]Harassment of George on his LiveJournal:[/b]

Just so that the policy is clear to all, those fans who have decided it is a fine idea to harass George on his LJ will never be welcome at BwB events. As an aside, nothing on the internet is anonymous. Nine restraining orders later, I have learned this lesson.

[b]BwB Charity Work:[/b]

We intend to get back into the charity side of things. However, we find it difficult to ask people for donations during this difficult economic climate. It was far easier to ask for money during a booming economic climate. Any thoughts or opinions on this matter are welcome.

[b]
The Hugo Awards:[/b]

You have One Week To Nominate!

...and we have some suggestions for your consideration.

[b]
Best Novel:[/b]

-[i][b]An Autumn War[/b][/i] by [b]Daniel Abraham[/b]: Besides being a contributor to Wild Cards, Daniel is a fine fantasist just coming into his own and An Autumn War shows a maturation of storytelling and delivers on much of the promise he has shown in earlier works. I am not asking you to forgive Abraham for the travesty that is M.L.N. Hanover, but despite the unforgivable crime against humanity, An Autumn War is a wonderful book. And deserving of your consideration.

-[i][b]Saturn's Children[/b][/i] by [b]Charles Stross[/b]: Charlie develops a pastiche of both Heinlein and Asimov in a single novel. Despite sounding implausible, Stross is mostly succesful. I still believe he has yet to write his opus, but Stross is likely to win his first Hugo with this one.

[b]Short Story:[/b]

****This is your first chance to nominate a fellow BwB member for a fiction Hugo.

-[b][url="http://futurismic.com/2008/06/02/veritas-nos-liberabit-by-kristin-janz/"]Veritas Nos Liberabit[/url][/b] by [b]Kristin Janz[/b]: Besides probably having concocted a drink that made you curse her existence the following day, Kristin, a recent Clarion graduate, is also a fine new writer. I think you'll all find that this story (available at the link) is unique, original, and deeply entrenched in the technology of today and the fears we live with each day using it. And people. She writes realistic, flawed people. Read it. Nominate it. Revel in the fact that she has promised to dress up as Xena: Warrior Princess at Worldcon when she is nominated.

Don't let us down, folks.

[b]Best Editor: Short Form:[/b]

-[b]George R.R. Martin[/b] for [i][b]Busted Flush[/b][/i]: You've probably heard of this guy.

[b]Best Fanzine:[/b]

[b]Pat's Fantasy Hotlist[/b]: Patrick is a complete nutcase and seemingly likes everything and everyone. That said, his blog is as must-read as Locus Online. And he does it for free. Toss him a much-deserved nomination.

Whoever you decide to nominate.....do it before Febuary 28.

That's all for this one, brethren.

Valar something-or-other,

William (Stego)

Archived