Formula One 2009 I

DJDonegal

What a bizarre accident :stunned: . A loose spring from Barrichellos car, bounces around and hits Massa straight in the face. Jeeezus. That gotta hurt. It's good that he is OK, but still. Bizarre.

So the qualifying ends with Alonso on pole, Vettel on second and Webber on third. I hope. Since all the computers shut down, who knows. Perhaps it will all change tomorrow.

Lewis Hamilton is fourth, and he will be deadly tomorrow. With KERS he might just shoot past the others. And since it is so hard to overtake an opponent here, he's looking good.

What a bizarre accident :stunned: . A loose spring from Barrichellos car, bounces around and hits Massa straight in the face. Jeeezus. That gotta hurt. It's good that he is OK, but still. Bizarre.

It was bizarre, particularly from Massa's perspective because from the on-board camera I don't think you could even see Rubens' car so the spring just seems to come out of nowhere and hit him in the head. It just goes to show that no matter how many safety improvements you try to make it is never going to be a 100% safe sport because you can't account for all eventualities - although the car did do a very good job of absorbing the impact into the barrier.

Shit. :( Just hope he's OK, I don't think he'll race again after a skull fracture.

Qualifying was interesting, and if Hamilton (with KERS) gets past the Red Bulls at the start, we could have Hamilton v Alonso into the first corner - And neither of them have anything to lose.....

ETA:

http://twitter.com/rubarrichello/status/2842001340

I just came back from the hospital. Felipe went trough a cirurgy which went very well. Now he is asleep waiting for a new scan tomorrow

I think he should come through this. As far as I know most Formula One deaths have taken place on the circuit so the fact that he's alive this morning suggests he'll make it. I'm not a medic but I'll guess that the doctors have got to look out for any blood clots in the brain and if there isn't any Felipe will have to hope any physical damage to the brain isn't serious or his racing career could be over because his balance and co-ordination may be affected.

It was a freak accident. There's been so many improvements to safety in F1 that injuries are extremely rare now. Kubica, Alesi and Ralf Schumacher (twice) have all survived big accidents since Michael Schumacher's crash at Silverstone in 1999, and Pedro de la Rosa and Christian Albers both walked away after being flipped over. Kubica got away from his masive accident at Canada with concussion and bruises. It's nigh on impossible to prepare for that kind of accident though. Crash helmets do a good job but when the car's travelling at 170mph into a bit of metal there's only so much the helmet can do. The Daily Telegraph printed a picture which shows that his visor was torn off at one side and a wound on his left eyebrow. The only similar in Formula One that I can recall is from the Australian GP from 2007 when Coulthard crashed into Wurz and went over the front of Wurz's car. That accident could easily have killed Wurz in an instant.

On to more cheerful matters, the fuel adjusted grod shows that Alonso was running light (no surprise there) but the Red Bull's are the fastest cars on basic pace with Button surprisingly down in 6th. Looks like we have a real world championship battle on our hands.

Well, last week Henry Surtees (son of former F1 champion John Surtees) died after his head was hit by a tyre in a Formula Two race in Brands Hatch. The driver's head is definitely the weak spot in open wheel racing. Massa was lucky, BTW, that the spring only grazed his helmet. If he had been fully hit he'd probably be dead.

Massa had 2 skull fractures, but he is stable. http://eurosport.yahoo.com/26072009/58/hun...brain-scan.html So he should be ok, but obviously not racing for a while.

I thought that Brawn GP would be higher up. It Red Bull have more fuel than Brawn, then the championship could be quite exciting for the rest of the races. I hope that Red Bull take this one too. But who knows, Alonso or Hamilton might end up on top this time.

I thought that Brawn GP would be higher up. It Red Bull have more fuel than Brawn, then the championship could be quite exciting for the rest of the races. I hope that Red Bull take this one too. But who knows, Alonso or Hamilton might end up on top this time.

The big question is Red Bull's tire degredation in the heat. It was a major problem for them in the earlier races, and if they've fixed it they'll probably walk the championship.

ETA: Who let Eddie Jordan do the grid walk? What a tosser.

A flawless drive for Hamilton. It must feel so good for him to win again. About a year since his last win, ain't it. Ok, so he didn't start the race so good. A near crash with Raikkonen, and and a lot of cars in the way. But he picked up speed and of he went. First win with a car with KERS.

Raikkonen second. Also with KERS. Hm, I guess the teams have finally figured out how to use it properly. A McLaren and a Ferrari in the top, it feels like two years ago ;) .

Mark Webber third. He overtook his team mate in the standings. Good on him. Too bad that Vettel couldn't finish the race. It would have made the championship more exctiting.

Funnies thing this race: Brawn GP telling Barrichello he needs to overtake two cars to get to the final point. Just nine laps to go. It made me smile:) . Rubens may be a lot of things, but fast enough to overtake two cars, while on hard tires. No...

Hamilton drove really well today, such a shame he's a twat. I've missed his press conferences and victory radio transmissions: "You guys were great! Thanks for all the work you did!; Yeah the team were great today and I'd like to thank everybodyin the garage and back home who've worked so hard to get back here." It's good to see a different winner though, that's four winners in the last four races. Hopefully it'll be five in five at Valencia.

Kimi was surprisingly talkative in today's press conference, mabye he's learnt to show some emotion (kind of like Spock!). He put in his best drive for a long time today, where the hell was that last year eh? He must only drive well when he's undisputed number one. I'm thinking that Kimi's hoping Felipe doesn't die, but only because he'd have to attend the funeral, which might clash with the Rally of Finland or some party.

Button's championship lead is now less than 20 points. :o Surely Brawn can't throw this fairytale away.

And on that ban for Renault: it's a bit of a farce. Most of the time they'd have got a fine but because Flavio is one of the leaders of FOTA Bernie and Max have decided to have a little revenge. That was a far less dangerous mistake than when Ferrari released Massa alongside someone at Valencia and released with the fuel hose still attached at Singapore. All they got was a slap on the wrists. Renault are going to appeal but the FIA doesn't loose appeals. Doubtless this will be "Inadmisable".

I'm going to miss Formula One over the next four weeks. What am I going to do with myself? :( It's shame that after a month of waiting the race race is at a crap circuit: Valencia. :thumbsdown:

Massa is out of the coma. He has woken and talked with his family and doctors, which is nice. He may have an eye injury, but the doctor thinks the may recover fully. Massa will most likely miss the rest of the season.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/27072009/58/mas...rator-coma.html

Will this mean that someone like the Stig might make an appearance? Hm, that would be quite a shocker, wouldn't it?

I think he should come through this. As far as I know most Formula One deaths have taken place on the circuit so the fact that he's alive this morning suggests he'll make it.

I was reading Martin Brundle's column on the accident where he pointed out that some past F1 deaths have occurred days after the accident, although not for a long time (I imagine that in addition to the safety improvements, the standards of the immediate medical care is much better now).

He also has some interesting points about the difficulties of preventing accidents like Massa's or Surtees' accidents, adding extra protection to screen the drivers head can have negative consequences, such as potentially making it more difficult to get to the driver after a crash.

It's good to hear that Massa appears to making progress and his life doesn't appear to be in danger any more. Whether he'll be able to race again still seems undecided, hopefully he will but I imagine it will be quite a long time until he returns.

Will this mean that someone like the Stig might make an appearance? Hm, that would be quite a shocker, wouldn't it?

Apparently Luca Badoer and Marc Gene are the current Ferrari Test drivers, but if they need a replacement for several races until Massa can return I suspect they'll go for a driver with a better racing record. I'm sure plenty of people will suggest Michael Schumacher, but I'm not sure if he'll really be motivated to return - if he was going to make an F1 return I suspect he would only do it if he had a proper Championship season, not a few races in a car that's struggling to win races. I'm not sure I can really see an obvious candidate, they can either select a rookie driver or being back some dropped or retired driver.

Schumacher has stated that he won't replace Massa, so that's out of the way. Another crazy rumour says hat Alonso could drive for Ferrari in Valencia. Renault have been banned for that race after the incident with the loose wheel on Alonso's car. There are probably too many legal obstacles though. (Contracts with sponsors and the like). Briatore probably wouldn't be inclined to allow it either. So it's going to be either Badoer or Gene.

But Luca and Marc haven't raced in years. And when they did, they weren't that fast. I guess the season is pretty much over for Ferrari, but wouldn't they at least try to win a race this season.

I'm putting my money on anybody else than the test drivers.

Archived