Actress Mona Weiss

Sleeping Dragon

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! thanks so much - no I didn't drop off the planet - my computer broke and I was without being able to have steady internet forever.

I did mail my info to the casting director and I'm working on some monologues and meeting with my dialect and acting coaches :thumbsup:

anyway while I was without technology I had a photo shoot and got this New Photo

Nice pic! :)

You know, I think you'd make a nice Catelyn - if you're prepared to colour your hair red for the part, anyway (which you don't seem to have a problem with, judging from the nurse you played in Scrubs).

Good to see David and Dan visited your profile! :D

Being an adherent of imdbPro, I was able to scan Mona's credits and appearances, and can pretty much say with assertion she is the most experienced / employed actress posting on this fan site. Kudos to your burgeoning career, Mona.

I have a question for Mona in relation to something she mentioned:

How hard is it, in general, to get up the gumption to do nudity onscreen? You mentioned it was an option for you, but wasn't something you would ever chose to do lightly.

I ask this because I've always been curious, and you've been in show business for much of your life. Do you find this as almost an industry expectation these days? Various actresses (Halle Barry, for one) have been infamous for having a nearly mercenary mindset when it comes to displaying various body parts, demanding huge sums for this shot or that shot. Other actresses simply refuse, even though there seems to be a massive fan expectation for it. Natalie Portman has been known to shoot various nude scenes only with explicit contractual control over the release of each scene (and then to nix most if not all of the shots in post-production, though that's a tale for another day).

The public perception of nudity in film has drastically changed over time. There was a point not too long ago (by my reckoning) that only "lesser" actresses bared themselves onscreen, yet in the modern era of film-making, that almost seems to have done a 180, with Academy Awards going to the bolder (and more naked) performances. Gwyneth Paltrow went topless for Shakespeare In Love - Oscar. Kate Winslet, eluding the Academy's golden touch for years, was naked during just about half of The Reader - Oscar!

So I suppose my question remains - how hard is that to decide on, personally? And I know this probably varies from person to person - some people are exhibitionists - but most are not. On top of that, the fear of not looking one's absolute best once it all comes off must weigh heavily as well. Not to mention the decision to strip down in front of the key grip, gaffer, lighting techs, etc. It's never as intimate as the movies make it out to be, and in many cases it's probably a little like suddenly taking all your clothes off in front of friends you work with every day.

A little surreal, and probably not for a faint-at-heart.

Is there an industry expectation for it nowadays?

If this comes off as though I'm some TMZ reporter, I apologize. It's always something that's stuck in my mind.

I couldn't do it. I don't even know how Denis Franz does it.

How hard is it, in general, to get up the gumption to do nudity onscreen? You mentioned it was an option for you, but wasn't something you would ever chose to do lightly.

I ask this because I've always been curious, and you've been in show business for much of your life. Do you find this as almost an industry expectation these days?

So I suppose my question remains - how hard is that to decide on, personally? And I know this probably varies from person to person - some people are exhibitionists - but most are not. On top of that, the fear of not looking one's absolute best once it all comes off must weigh heavily as well. Not to mention the decision to strip down in front of the key grip, gaffer, lighting techs, etc. It's never as intimate as the movies make it out to be, and in many cases it's probably a little like suddenly taking all your clothes off in front of friends you work with every day.

A little surreal, and probably not for a faint-at-heart.

Is there an industry expectation for it nowadays?

If this comes off as though I'm some TMZ reporter, I apologize. It's always something that's stuck in my mind.

I couldn't do it. I don't even know how Denis Franz does it.

Thats a really good question. I'll try to explain myself as best as possible, but feel free to ask if you need further clarification.

Honestly, I've never done full nudity before but I am willing to do it for a good role. I guess I'm saving myself :) I've seen it help many an actresses career, but only where it is handled properly.

Is there an industry expectation? Yes and no - I think if i was willing to do nudity for anything, I would have had alot more work, that's for sure. Of course, you can get by without doing it, but it gets hard sometimes. I also do some modeling on the side and thats almost impossible to do without someone asking you to take your clothes off. I'm really careful.

I did a brief implied nude stint on Medium, and the whole thing was extremely respectful. They had a skeleton crew there with no one unnecessary watching, and I was accompanied by a woman the entire time (the whole crew was men). I had a bathrobe on and the woman took it off at the last minute and put it back on me as soon as it was done and when we took breaks so I wouldn't be cold. It was a very comfortable experience, and I have heard that other bigger actresses are treated similarly for the most part (like charlize theron had to do a naked-in the bathtub scene - and it went the same way with her being covered when they weren't shooting).

I see roles come up all the time for nudity - and I look at the role and I decide if its something I want to audition for, and while I;ve done alot of reviewing, I haven;t actually seen anything go by in casting that I thought would be good for me. 90% of the things I see with nudity aren't even *acting* roles and they just want a naked girl in there. There are so many girls who are willing to do nudity, it doesn't pay as much as it really *should,* either.

I met a girl recently who was a topless stripper on Californication and they paid her $300 a day to dance on a stripper pole with her top off and no lines (not really acting, now is it?) she was so happy about the money but she probably could have made more if she want to a real bar and did it.

- I haven't done any non speaking roles (except for commercials) in years, but I need meat to a character - nudity or not. And that's where I get a little choosy - not in paying roles I audition for/take, but in paying roles with nudity that I choose to audition for (not many!).

Actually, I think most of the *good* naked roles go to known actors, though every once in a while you see a gem go through.

I went to one audition for a short film once where I didn't see the script beforehand (they didn't tell me there was nudity, either) and I didn't see the sides until the audition. Heres the scene: wife enters in bathrobe and slippers, gets into argument with drunk husband, and for no apparent reason, the bathrobe comes off and she keeps yelling at him while naked. It made no sense to me, and I asked for an explanation from the director as to why she would just fling off her bathrobe, and he said he wanted it there in the script for drama and shock value. I walked out - it didn't mean anything to the character, and I knew immediately that the director didn't know what he was doing and I wasn't going to just expose myself for *shock value.*

I could tell that this guy's film was going nowhere (and indeed it's been well over a year and I haven't seen the title at any festivals or anywhere).

I look at nudity as something that I am willing to do so long as it helps in my career and adds something for me (i.e. isn't cheapening and gratuitous)- which is why it has to have a purpose in the script and be a good role. Besides, when you do nudity on film - that naked image of you is going to be on the internet forever, so If I'm going to have a picture of me be constantly clicked on by a million horny teenage boys, I want it to be associated with a really good role so that I'm more than just a good looking body. :smileysex:

I'm not against being in playboy, either - but I'd rather do that after I do it for a role. It does drive up your value, but I'd do nothing less than a cover shoot and centerfold :thumbsup:

I hope I'm not coming across as stuck up. - I think maybe because I feel better and more justified in doing it for something special.

Do I think I look good enough now to do it tomorrow? absolutely!

If I had a few weeks notice would I hire a personal trainer to work with me every day to make sure I'm in tip-top perfectly toned shape beforehand? of course! I can always look better, lol! it's part of the job :)

Bottom line:

I REALLY want to be in Game of Thrones. Its my favorite book series, in the genre I love and have always wanted to really sink my teeth into for acting (I've often wondered if I just belong in that kind of fantasy medieval world anyway - thats where playing video games and D&D comes in LOL). I had been nudging at a producer friend of mine for years to get the books optioned, and when he finally checked, alas, they were optioned already. The series is going to be a hit, no doubt, and I just have such a fantastic feeling about this series, and I want to be a part of it.

If I could be a part of this, of course I would do nudity for a main/regular role but it's because any of these roles I can really be passionate about - and thats very important to me. I feel like I could really *be* a few of these characters, so the nudity wouldn't really be as scary or as awkward because any of the roles that have nudity in them all have reasons. When I get into a character, large or small, I really get into the character's head and I live in their world, so to speak.

George R. R. Martin never just throws it in there to be gratuitous, and it adds alot of depth to each character. I think he did a good enough job in writing each character that it will translate to the script very nicely, though its up to the actor (hopefully me!) to really communicate that to the audience - although I think Mr. Martin did a good job of writing the characters in the first place - there's a lot of information there. Each character deals with nakedness in their own way and it actually means something to each of them. Even Shae the whore is more than just a bedwarmer and is instrumental to the story. There's a purpose in the writing for each character.

Ok, Now I've written an encyclopedia, but I hope that answers it for you :)

I'm not against being in playboy, either - but I'd rather do that after I do it for a role. It does drive up your value, but I'd do nothing less than a cover shoot and centerfold :thumbsup:

Don't do Playboy before you make your name as an actress, it can ruin your chances at a real acting career. The company I worked for had an actress client who was a Playmate in 1996 (Jessica Lee Maider) and it was a big part of why she had trouble finding work. She was a very good actress, I mean damn impressive, but her past modeling in that particular arena created a negative perception of her. She had a great look, not a typical Playmate blond look, but it didn't matter. In her case, she probably wouldn't have even come out to L.A. and gotten into acting if she hadn't been in Playboy, but in a way doing the magazine killed her chance at an acting career before it even began.

Earlier in his career, my boss had another client named Deborah Driggs, who he says was one of the best young actresses he'd seen (and he was, himself, a trained actor who studied with Sandy Meisner when he was only 12 or 13, so he was very picky). Anyway, she became a Playmate even though he warned her off of it and told her it was going to damage her acting career. Unfortunately he was right and she never went anywhere with the acting. She did do a lot of work for Playboy over the years, but he felt she had a real chance to be a big star.

Famous actresses often do Playboy once established and it's fine, then it's 'tasteful and arty,' but if you do it before you're famous, you are perceived as a bimbo. Why? Who knows. Perceptions are strange that way.

Don't do Playboy before you make your name as an actress, it can ruin your chances at a real acting career. The company I worked for had an actress client who was a Playmate in 1996 (Jessica Lee Maider) and it was a big part of why she had trouble finding work. She was a very good actress, I mean damn impressive, but her past modeling in that particular arena created a negative perception of her. She had a great look, not a typical Playmate blond look, but it didn't matter. In her case, she probably wouldn't have even come out to L.A. and gotten into acting if she hadn't been in Playboy, but in a way doing the magazine killed her chance at an acting career before it even began.

Earlier in his career, my boss had another client named Deborah Driggs, who he says was one of the best young actresses he'd seen (and he was, himself, a trained actor who studied with Sandy Meisner when he was only 12 or 13, so he was very picky). Anyway, she became a Playmate even though he warned her off of it and told her it was going to damage her acting career. Unfortunately he was right and she never went anywhere with the acting. She did do a lot of work for Playboy over the years, but he felt she had a real chance to be a big star.

Famous actresses often do Playboy once established and it's fine, then it's 'tasteful and arty,' but if you do it before you're famous, you are perceived as a bimbo. Why? Who knows. Perceptions are strange that way.

thats why I said after

Thanks for the answers, Mona. It's interesting how perceptions can change, and as Brude said, there are still perceived stigmas that come with every decision made to further one's career. It seems to me this affects actresses much more than actors, which is a shame in today's supposed equality-laden society.

(I suppose the west is still ahead of the curve; the choice to go without clothing in some countries would result in a nice stoning, rather than limited career options.)

Your description of how they handled you on Medium was very cool, and seems slightly less invasive than I'd imagined. The general populace who reads ASoIaF has little inkling with the process of film-making (I've personally only written a few screenplays and haven't sold a one, so my own experience is only peripheral at best), so having a few posters who can walk us through various portions of the process, as it happens, is nice. We're all dying to see Game of Thrones made.

Now that I've seen a small few of your parts (isn't it grand, having a handful of pirating friends and television-on-demand?), I can certainly see you in a role like Lyanna Stark. If I were to describe you, it would be graceful tomboy, which is what the athletic Lyanna would need to emote.

A pity she's only in flashbacks. The plus side is they make a statue of you right away.

They'd need to ugly you up for Asha, and I pictured her taller, but that matters less to me than the ability to act.

I think you're too busty for Dany, who is even described by her brother in the pilot script as "Having little enough as is." Actually, that's hard to cast in and of itself. The sides we've seen don't require flat-chestedness in the role, yet there it is in the dialogue.

Either way, good luck. Do you have a manager or agent who has any insider contact angles to Nina Gold or any of the stateside casting agents?

Archived