Feast/Dance

As books A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are occuring simultaenously (sp?), or I assume they eventually will be, but would this be done the same way for a tv series? Viewers who don't read the books could be waiting two years to find out what happens to the characters in Feast and will have been waiting two years to see what happens to the other half of the characters after Storm by the time Dance comes out. Now I know that us readers have been waiting a long time for Dance to be released, but in the case of the TV series could HBO look upon splitting the books as bad business and combine the first halves of each book for series four and do the same for the second halves in series five?

As books A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are occuring simultaenously (sp?), or I assume they eventually will be, but would this be done the same way for a tv series? Viewers who don't read the books could be waiting two years to find out what happens to the characters in Feast and will have been waiting two years to see what happens to the other half of the characters after Storm by the time Dance comes out. Now I know that us readers have been waiting a long time for Dance to be released, but in the case of the TV series could HBO look upon splitting the books as bad business and combine the first halves of each book for series four and do the same for the second halves in series five?

That decision appears to have already been taken. The casting notes for Jon say that he will be needed throughout 'all seasons' and Theon will be needed for Seasons 1, 2 and 4.

That to me suggests three possibilities:

1) Books 4 and 5 will be condensed into one, perhaps slightly longer than normal, season.

2) The events of Books 4 and 5 will still span two seasons, but the events will be lined up next to one another and we will switch between the two books and sets of characters, ending Season 4 halfway through both books.

3) They are reinstating the five-year gap and going from there, skipping most of AFFC.

Out of these three possibilities I would say that 1) is by far the most likely possibility. 2) seems promising but would require the introduction of some climax halfway through both books that may not be there. 3) seems highly implausible. 1) would probably be HBO's preferred solution (one less season, getting to the end of the story more quickly, solves problems with the children aging more quickly than they should) but it does introduce significant problems, such as GRRM having a whole year less to complete TWoW and ADoS.

That decision appears to have already been taken. The casting notes for Jon say that he will be needed throughout 'all seasons' and Theon will be needed for Seasons 1, 2 and 4.

That to me suggests three possibilities:

1) Books 4 and 5 will be condensed into one, perhaps slightly longer than normal, season.

2) The events of Books 4 and 5 will still span two seasons, but the events will be lined up next to one another and we will switch between the two books and sets of characters, ending Season 4 halfway through both books.

3) They are reinstating the five-year gap and going from there, skipping most of AFFC.

Actually I'd say that if the series has the good ratings after season 3 then your second option is far more likely as HBO will attempt to milk ASOIF for all it's worth. If the ratings are not great it won't get to season 4 anyway. As for the children ageing well they are all going to be cast older than the books anyway

:hat:

I would actually prefer #2. It would take a lot more time to put together, but I can't see them combining both books into one season unless they made around 20 episodes (which I don't think HBO had ever done). This could get really complicated and it all stems back to this horrible AFFC/ADWD split that never should have happened. It still ticks me off that AFFC didn't include the whole cast of characters.

I would actually prefer #2. It would take a lot more time to put together, but I can't see them combining both books into one season unless they made around 20 episodes (which I don't think HBO had ever done).

HBO has, at least, done an extended season for both the Sopranos and Entourage, respectively having seasons 6 and 3 be two-parters consisting of 20 episodes each. I highly doubt AFFC would warrant a full (10 - 12 eps.) season order, though, so 6 - 8 episodes sounds about right.

HBO has, at least, done an extended season for both the Sopranos and Entourage, respectively having seasons 6 and 3 be two-parters consisting of 20 episodes each.

The fourth season of Oz was also longer than usual. The other five seasons of that show were all eight episodes, but season four was sixteen.

Archived