Who should be the prettiest girl in the series?

Sansa and Margaery I would deffinately file into the "pretty" category. They've always seemed to be to be pretty in a "girl next door" kind of way, rather than a legendary way. They may have lots of guys interested in them, but they're not the Face that Launched a Thousand Ships.

I disagree. It's not just a matter of having lots of guys interested in them, it's being called beautiful by other women and having people talk about their looks throughout the kingdom. It's made very clear that Sansa is extraordinarily beautiful and while Cersei gets offended every time someone says Margaery is as beautiful as she is, I suspect she's so upset because it's true. It would just be absurd if Cersei is depicted jealous of a "girl next door" looking Margaery. If you want an example of merely pretty, Jeyne Westerling is your girl. There's a significant difference in the language when describing Jeyne as opposed to Margaery and Sansa.

And now to talk about the men. Am I the only one disappointed that Jaime is the only straight male who's really handsome? I find myself hoping they'll cast handsome actors for Jon and Theon, both of whom are really only "boy next door" attractive in the books.

Err, of course they'll cast pretty male actors for all the lead roles(well, except the ones who're supposed to be ugly etc)- it's TV.

But are Theon or Jon all that handsome? They're normal, maybe even handsome, but if so it was never really emphethized AFAIK(if it would've I'd have no doubt remembered it more easily).

I think there's a problem here with people's expectations. Think of Ned- from what I gather he's anything but super-handsome. He's average looking at best.

But again, this being TV they'll cast someone handsome anyway.

Frankly I think this line of thinking is rather pointless in that they'll make anyone who's not supposed to be ugly/plain/deformed etc look pretty enough at the very least, and they'll be sure to take the upmost care with the ladies(*caugh* fan-service *caugh*).

dolorous_edd: I see what you're saying. I guess maybe the point I was trying to get accross (which obviously I didn't do very well, ha :P ) was more trying to answer the orginal question of "Who should be the prettiest?" Sadly, the way Hollywood and TV are these days, every single actress (except, hopefully, for Brienne) is going to be very "pretty," to the point that who is "prettier" is going to be extremely objective. My personal opinion - Cersei should be gorgeous and Dany even moreso. In my opinion, they should be the "prettiest." But it's also going to come down to personal interpretation of the director and casting directors, plus the potential problem of whether or not teenage girls on TV should rival a woman in her 30s in terms desirabilty. (Not that some of them don't already - I'm just sayin'...)

For me it also kind of comes down to wanting to call Sansa and Margaery "pretty" and Cersei "beautiful" or "gorgeous" is partly due to their age. I feel sketchy saying an 11 year old is the prettiest :hat: (Not sure why it's ok for me to file 13-year-old Dany as gorgeous... maybe 'cause with the hair and eyes we're being set up for that...)

Knight O' Pansies: Of course this will also work the other way around with the guys :kiss: I'm all for equal opportunity. But I'd rather not have Ned and Jon get pimped out and be overly studly. The Starks are supposed to be...well, stark. Cat at one point even reflects that when she married Ned she was dissapointed that he wasn't as handsome as Brandon. I'd much rather have Ned be average-looking - and maybe even graying and with crows' feet - and Jon pale and wiry rather than looking like they stepped off the cover of a bad romance novel. And I don't want Sandor to end up like Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera (as much I loved it). I read a parody that pretty much summed it up - "Oh my god, he's slightly unatractive on one side - to arms!" I'd rather have Sandor played by a big, normal-looking guy with heavy makeup and prosthetics covering half his face, head and neck than a really hot guy with awesome hair that looks like one cheek got really sunburned.

But, sadly, you're right that it's pretty pointless to speculate - it'll end up as A Horde of Hotties regardless :leer:

That depends on what you mean with the word “prettyâ€: for me pretty is the same thing as cute. Its a description that fits women with the “girls next door†look. Beautiful women are the ones that most men thinks that they will never get close to, the ones that becomes supermodels and remembered for generations because of their beauty. By the descriptions from the books I would call Melisandre the most beautiful women In the series . She seems to have this kind of spellbinding, almost supernatural beauty to her.

But, sadly, you're right that it's pretty pointless to speculate - it'll end up as A Horde of Hotties regardless :leer:

We can all, uh...hope for it? ;)

She seems to have this kind of spellbinding, almost supernatural beauty to her.

Bet it's all just a charm like Stannis' sword and she's an old, ugly hag beneath! :ack:

Has this bit of crackpottery been suggested yet? If not, I'm claiming all rights to it!

Bet it's all just a charm like Stannis' sword and she's an old, ugly hag beneath! :ack:

Has this bit of crackpottery been suggested yet? If not, I'm claiming all rights to it!

Excellent crackpot theory! You should post it on the Crackpot Theory thread :thumbsup:

I love the Pride and Prejudice mini-series, but the relative unattractiveness of Jane to Elisabeth and Mr Wickham to everyone bothered me. If Cersei or Sansa or Dany end up decidedly more plain than Catelyn, Arya or Brienne, that would bother me. The same if Jaime is far less traditionally good-looking than Ned.

Everyone who is supposed to be goodlooking will be goodlooking. But what I think of as absolutely stunning isn't necessarily what the next person thinks of as absolutely stunning.

The problem is that even if the Dany (or Cercei, or Milesandre...) they choose is abolutely beautiful, if she can't act it's not going to matter. Basically, the casting directors can't make everyone happy- they first and formost have to go with talent before beauty.

I personally want the people to be able to act their collective asses off first and be attractive second. I don't want a soap opera, I want something in the acting realm of Rome.

Everyone who is supposed to be goodlooking will be goodlooking. But what I think of as absolutely stunning isn't necessarily what the next person thinks of as absolutely stunning.

The problem is that even if the Dany (or Cercei, or Milesandre...) they choose is abolutely beautiful, if she can't act it's not going to matter. Basically, the casting directors can't make everyone happy- they first and formost have to go with talent before beauty.

That's true - I'd rather see a Dany who ins't as pretty as some of the other major characters but is an excellent actress and looks a believable 15 than a Dany who is gorgeous but can't act and looks 25.

I don't think GRRM ever meant that to be objectively the truth. :)

Well, as I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it could be the subjective truth for a great deal of people if you see the Maggy the Frog prophecy going a certain way. Cersei is deemed quite beautiful, one of the most beautiful women in Westeros. And if Dany is the one to cast her down, then she would be even more beautiful, perhaps one of the most beautiful in the world and probably more beautiful than any woman we'd see on the show. But there is the eye of the beholder and all. :)

the thing is the characters activily talk about the various woman's beauty. so if it's said that someone is one of the most beautiful woman in the kindom- cercei, and it's clearly not to the veiwers, then it'll be bothersome even if she is a great actress.

i like the example of P&P brought up. that irked me to no end, not because i'm superficial but because its stated over and over again how beautiful Jane is compared to every one and that Elizabeth is a notch or two below her. the woman was a good actress but i never saw anything stunning that should've won her the part over someone who better fit the discription.

so what i'm saying is Cercei better be pretty freaken hot and if not has to steal every scene she's in to justify it. Dany's beauty i think has more to do with her uniquness, i don't think traditional beauty will be much a factor there but more just the effect of seeing the hair and eyes.

Archived