Michael K. Williams

boiled leather

What about MKW as the Red Viper?

That would be pretty intense seeing him fight Gregor.

Well, the thing about Bronn, there is nothing about the character that says he can't be a Summer Islander, which in this world is where all the black people come from, ultimately. If you make the Red Viper black, then you are going to have to say that the Dornish are black.

I guess you could do that, but then you get into issues like Jon Snow's parantage - he's allgededly the son of either Arthur Dayne's sister or the wet nurse who lived at the Dayne castle, they are from Dorne...but Jon is pretty clearly not 1/2 black.

Bronn is just Bronn. He happens to be white in the book, but there is nothing that says ne must be. You won't have to retcon half the series to make it fit.

yeah I sort of thought about that Dornish thing with them all having to be black. Would sort of make a race war out of the Lannisters (inc Gregor) versus the Dornish (talking about the sacking of KL those many years past) which he wouldn't want.

Plus it would sort of disrupt the whole Targaryen look as generally the phenotype dealy of the darker person of the 2 parents will generally be expressed.

MKW I think is in only one Boardwalk Empire episode as Chalky White or Ashy Larry or something like that.

MKW I think is in only one Boardwalk Empire episode as Chalky White or Ashy Larry or something like that.

The HBO press release/trades news stories about it made it sound like he'd be a regular. If you are going by IMDb, they only list 1 episode because there is only 1 episode of the entire series listed there, the Pilot. You will notice that every actor in the cast is listed as appearing in only 1 episode. (Holy crap! Dabney Coleman is in that show too!)

If you wanted to go with a Brit accent, then you could also bring in Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) who is British in the first place.

Whilst I'm not seeing any major barriers to making Bronn black, it's something that I think could be much more developed in Dany's story in the east. A lot of the places she passes through, such as the Free Cities, Qarth, Meereen etc, are far more multicultural and more 'melting pots' than Westeros, and seeing black characters there (among the freeriders, the Unsullied etc) would make a lot more sense.

Cast him as a summer islander, a sellsword, or put him in Dany's story. It always bothers me when they get racial aspects wrong, either for PC reasons or other reasons. Having a caucasian guy play Jesus always bothered me...the dude was a Jew. It would make about as much sense as having a white guy play pharaoh, or having a black guy play Elrond. It doesn't make sense.

I think the only time I wasn't bothered by it when they change up such aspects of a movie, would be Shawshank Redemption. But Morgan Freeman was just too good of an actor to pass up, with no other role he could have taken. Michael Williams is no Morgan Freeman, and there are plenty of roles he could play that would make sense as Martin's books cover several spectrums of cultural realms.

Archived