An evil teasing post from GRRM

ogbebaba

True enough, he would be a wicked Littlefinger. But shouldn't he be a bit more dare I say... attractive for that. I mean Lysa was supposed to be quite beautiful in her day (remember Jaime recollecting that she wasn't all bad when she was young, even as he was smitten with Cersei). And for her to SPOILER get in the sack with Petyr END SPOILER must mean Petyr was somewhat attractive as well. Then again, who am I to say the Blackadder is an unattractive man..

The thing with Rowan doing LF for me would be however that I would always see him as a serious, not-as-funny version of Blackadder. Whereas with Varys he would be a character all on his own. And I do believe he would be up for any role Varys plays, he'd even be perfect at it. True enough though, Varys is not in the script, so it would be highly unlikely...

I'm not saying Atkinson should play Littlefinger, just that that description of Blackadder sounds exactly like Littlefinger :)

GRRM says Atkinson would be perfect as Varys, and he should know, really. Littlefinger needs to be younger than Catelyn, which means under forty, basically.

True enough, he would be a wicked Littlefinger. But shouldn't he be a bit more dare I say... attractive for that. I mean Lysa was supposed to be quite beautiful in her day (remember Jaime recollecting that she wasn't all bad when she was young, even as he was smitten with Cersei). And for her to SPOILER get in the sack with Petyr END SPOILER must mean Petyr was somewhat attractive as well.

No it doesn't! What is this obsession people have with physical beauty? As I keep saying, attraction is, at least for some people, a complicated thing. Just look around you - pretty girls on the arms of ugly or unremarkable men, and vice versa. It's not all "what does he/she look like in a still photograph?".

LF was presumably extremely intelligent, extremely funny, passionate, exotic (a jumped-up peasant from a backwater to the east would probably be exotic to a novelty-starved somwhat-rebellious noble girl surrounded by knights and courtiers), not repulsively ugly... you don't have to also assume that he's also markedly handsome to imagine such a man cutting a small swathe through court.

Then again, who am I to say the Blackadder is an unattractive man..
Indeed, I'd heard that he was extremely attractive, though a lot of that may be his personality (ie. the fact that he's an egocentric bastard, which always seems popular with women). C.f. Littlefinger.
The thing with Rowan doing LF for me would be however that I would always see him as a serious, not-as-funny version of Blackadder. Whereas with Varys he would be a character all on his own. And I do believe he would be up for any role Varys plays, he'd even be perfect at it. True enough though, Varys is not in the script, so it would be highly unlikely...

I think the problem with him as LF is that Blackadder is very obviously what he is - just as Varys, albeit in a different way, is very obviously scheming and manipulative. LF, by contrast, ought to be far more sympathetic, at least at first - he has to hide his depths of evil, whereas having Atkinson play him would make him Suspect No. One for all crimes committed in the series.

And indeed LF is more sympathetic than Blackadder even when you get to know him - he may have gone over the edge, but he's got motives and virtues that are easy to empathise with (he's trying to prove that merit is more important than birth), whereas Blackadder has no motivation beyond instant gratification - he has no cause to stand for, unlike Petyr.

I'm not saying Atkinson should play Littlefinger, just that that description of Blackadder sounds exactly like Littlefinger :)

Just exchange "creepily harassing the teenage daughter from the woman you were supposed to love" for "funnily wheedling the powerful dumb-asses" :D But ASOIAF isn't a comedy, is it?

I wouldn't pick Atkinson for LF because I think he's too old, nor for Varys, because I imagine him with a less distinctive face, somewhat more ambiguous. Perhaps I'm too prejudiced by my inner views of them?

Atkinson is too tall for LF, if the producers are serious about having the Napoleon look.

I read this. thought Napoleonic. Creepy. good actor. I know he's too young, but I saw Seth Green (especially after his stint on Entourage).

You are now returned to your normal viewing of British shows and actors. <smile>

I think Burn Gorman is a bit too tall at 5' 9", but with some production magic, might appear smaller. He definitely can wield both suave and creepy. and imagine my surprise to find out he's originally from California. I tried.

I read this. thought Napoleonic. Creepy. good actor. I know he's too young, but I saw Seth Green (especially after his stint on Entourage).

You are now returned to your normal viewing of British shows and actors. <smile>

I think Burn Gorman is a bit too tall at 5' 9", but with some production magic, might appear smaller. He definitely can wield both suave and creepy. and imagine my surprise to find out he's originally from California. I tried.

Both interesting suggestions! Go Oz. :)

Archived