Choices for Roose Bolton?

Andhaira

Love child...good one guys! :thumbsup:

Regan's definitely got the Bolton eyes, but dont you think he's too tall, hunky and handsome to be Roose? ;) He's got a good look for Ramsay though, but come to think of it, maybe he's a bit too old for the role. Hmmm...

IIRC, isn't Roose described as average height, slight build, pale with average looks? We also assume he's middle aged yet still fit enough to ride and fight.

I agree with these talented artists' renditions of Roose which brings me back to suggesting McGann as he's got all the physical characteristics. He's an average sized actor who has a strong presence.

Lark the Sisterman, perhaps you're thinking about Ramsay's description when you said "soft" and "full"? Here's Amok's interpretation of Ramsay Snow, he's described as taller, larger, full-lipped, with the same blue eyes as Roose. And I understand what you mean about McGann's role in Withnail and I. It's actually a good example of how 'real' he can be in character. He's versatile and just 'disappears' into any role he's given. :)

(eta: Ramsay's pic)

• 2 months later...

Roose Bolton's my favorite minor character so I thought this would be a good thread for my 1st post.

When I first read the books years ago, and back in the days when I never dreamed the books would be adapted to film, I always imagined the likes of Rutger Hauer for Roose.

Having re-read the books recently, and knowing that the production was a possibility, I started to think of actors who were more physically matched to Bolton's description.

I was happy to find this thread because I wholeheartedly agree on the (majority so far)suggestion of Paul McGann and want to add my vote. I saw him on stage at the Globe this summer, what a fantastic actor. Totally underrated in the US which is a shame, really.

As for Vince Regan, I thought he was good in The Prisoner. Too bad it was just a small role, but I'd like to see him cast in the series as somebody, but definitely not Roose.

• 2 weeks later...

Roose Bolton is not described as looking creepy, except for the paleness of his eyes. What's really terrifying about him is that his viciousness is so subtle - he looks perfectly ordinary, he's soft-spoken and courteous and mild-mannered, even when he's saying things like "must I have your tongue out?" to a little girl. I picture him very much like Cary Elwes in Riverman.

I was always under the impression that Roose was slightly older than Ned. He is mentioned as being at the battle of the Trident - Ned says that when they captured Barristan, Roose Bolton urged me to kill him, but I refused. For some reason I took that to imply that Roose was senior to Ned in age and experience (if not in rank) and was talking down to him. That and the fact that Ramsey is not his only son, but his oldest son and heir passes away early in the books, a long way off camera.

Since they have aged Ned 15 years by casting Sean Bean, I've come to envision an actor of the same age to be cast as Bolton.

I've mentioned here before that I saw Paul McGann as Menelaus in the play 'Helen' this past summer. I was convinced that he'd make the perfect Bolton. The role wasn't 'creepy' or 'conniving back(or front :leer: )-stabber', but he was subtle, restrained (hard to convey in outdoor theater), yet showed strength and humanity. A very convincing performance and it opened my eyes to how versatile an actor he is.

Malkovich has been a popular suggestion, but imho, he'd be typecast. Like, 'Oh, here's Malkovich. He must be playing a creepy baddie again. It would be awesome if they cast an actor that's a bit unexpected and relatively unknown in the US. Found this photo of Paul McGann and he's got a great look for Bolton.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion I think would be pretty incredible (if unlikely). First of all, while Bolton is supposed to be very average looking, the text repeatedly draws attention to his voice... he speaks very quietly, almost whispering, but with a lot of presence (people stop and listen when he talks). So considering voice and, of course, ACTING talent as the most important aspect, I nominate... Tobin Bell. For those who don't know, Tobin Bell is the actor who played Jigsaw in the Saw movies, and he is an incredible actor who happens to look very ordinary and speaks in a quiet, raspy, very powerful whisper. I've been rereading the books and imagining Bolton as Bell, and it's turned him from a rather dull character into one of my absolute favorites so far. Now, Bell is a big movie actor who presumably makes a lot of money and therefore may not be likely to appear in a television series. Except that he chose to appear in THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_Hour_Volume_One:_Don%27t_Think_About_It so he might be persuaded (BTW he was by far the best part of that movie).

Also, I originally thought Bell would be good for the part of Prince Doran Martell, just because I could imagine him saying those final lines so well... "Fire and blood..."

I've mentioned here before that I saw Paul McGann as Menelaus in the play 'Helen' this past summer. I was convinced that he'd make the perfect Bolton. The role wasn't 'creepy' or 'conniving back(or front :leer: )-stabber', but he was subtle, restrained (hard to convey in outdoor theater), yet showed strength and humanity. A very convincing performance and it opened my eyes to how versatile an actor he is.

McGann is a good choice. Weirdly enough, he was cast as Richard Sharpe before he hurt himself playing footie on set and was replaced by Sean Bean. Now no one can imagine him as Sharpe. But I can as Bolton. If I remember correctly from Hornblower, he's got really nice bright blue eyes. Perhaps some grey contacts would be in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Roose Bolton always gave me the creeps, but he is an interesting charcter. I picture Costas Mandylor, who gave such a sick, smarmy turn in the SAW movies as a fitting Roose Bolton. Maybe his looks are not exactly what many have in mind to portray Roose, but the demeanor of chilling touch of evil he exudes on SAW would fit the Roose character well.

Archived