ebook

I was thinking how nice it would be to have an ebook edition of A Song of Ice and Fire where I can bookmark significant passages and save keywords with each bookmark so I can look up passages related to certain keywords.

There are ebook versions of the books. Is there any ebook reader that will do what I want?

I think that most of them can do that.

Barnes and Noble's "Nook" is getting a lot of buzz and per its website, "nook makes it easy to bookmark, highlight passages, or make notes – plus, look up words mid-sentence using the built-in dictionary. Use Reading Now, your virtual bookmark, to bring you back to the last book you've read, right where you left off. If you forget your nook at home and are stuck on a bus, keep on reading with your iPhone™ or BlackBerry®, using Barnes & Noble’s free eReader software."

It comes out in the next few weeks and is the same price as Amazon's offering.

Personally I am waiting to see what Apple brings to the table in January and will then make a decision.

• 7 months later...

I was thinking how nice it would be to have an ebook edition of A Song of Ice and Fire where I can bookmark significant passages and save keywords with each bookmark so I can look up passages related to certain keywords.

There are ebook versions of the books. Is there any ebook reader that will do what I want?

Amazon's Kindle app is free and works for PC, Mac, iPhone, Blackberry, and soon Android.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/183-5983932-1981849?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Both Amazon and B&N have Game of Thrones for less than $5 for (respectively) the Kindle and Nook editions right now. And at one point, there was a GoT/CoK double package which was under $8, but not sure if that's still around.

• 5 months later...

Alright, there's the Kindle edition, the NOOKbook edition, and the Adobe Digital Edition. The Adobe Digital Edition has the advantage of working on any reader with the exception of the Kindle. So I suppose I ought to try buying Game of Thrones in all 3 editions and trying it on my desktop to see which is the best. There are a lot of complaints about ebook versions having gratuitous errors in them.

The fact that the Kindle is the worst at supporting different ebook formats really kicks it right out of contention. Nook and Sony readers both support all standard formats in addition to their proprietary format.

The best 3rd party reading hardware would be the BeBook Neo and the Alex eReader.

I'm thinking that maybe I should just buy a laptop. I should bring one home from work and see if reading with one on a recliner is comfortable.

I've heard that the Kindle edition is riddled with typos. Voyager UK is planning to release ebooks, and they're passing it through editorial (it looks like they tend to contract with third parties to do the work and editors never get a chance to make sure it's a clean transfer) this time specifically because of what they've heard about the American E-books. It may do to wait a bit for those to come out, and to see if they can be legally purchased in the States.

Archived