a tiny part of me wishes it was going to be a film!

BigFatCoward

I certainly feel 7 movies could easily do the series justice and nothing important would have to be cut at all. Look how wonderful the LOTR movies were, they were much better than the books!

The books are only so big because there is a lot of internal monologue and a lot of filler in there. Describing a room can take paragraphs, on the big screen it takes an instant.

I certainly feel 7 movies could easily do the series justice and nothing important would have to be cut at all. Look how wonderful the LOTR movies were, they were much better than the books!

The books are only so big because there is a lot of internal monologue and a lot of filler in there. Describing a room can take paragraphs, on the big screen it takes an instant.

While the LOTR films were wonderful, I cough when you say better than the books. Do you not like to read?

I have to humbly disagree with you on all points!

I have to agree with Andhaira, actually. I read The Hobbit three times, The Lord of the Rings twice, and The Silmarillion once (most of the way through). I gave LotR a B.

The movies were an A. Tolkien had zero ideas on how to conceive a romance (which Jackson succeeded on with Aragorn and Arwen). Additionally the films didn't have Tom Bombadil (most certainly a plus) or characters randomly bursting into song at odd moments; Jackson's best "song" moment came in the extended (non-theatrical) version of Fellowship--a song that was actually conceived and written by Viggo Mortensen.

Years ago, I always wanted ASOIAF to be an HBO series. That is the best way to adapt the books to the screen. I wouldn't like it if they made them into movies. Too much would be left out, there would be too long a wait, plus I don't think they need another drawn out fantasy movie series like Harry Potter. Movies would definitely cheapen the series for me.

Yes, I agree that the LOTR films were among my favorite films ever. I watch them over and over.

But I read the books, first given to me by my librarian Grandmother when I was 13, over and over again. They are literature. Granted, by a boring old guy. Tom Bombadil was definitely a digression. Were it not for those books, the LOTR films would never have been that good.

So, are you guys going to say that the ASoIandF are going to be better on the screen than GRRM's books?

I will hold out the argument that they will be a different story, as are the LOTR films. Comparing apples and oranges.

To denigrate the original literature is just not fair!

Archived